GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Jabang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 07:52:04 GMT
Asalaamu alaikum Alieu Bah

Alhamdulillah and may Allah reward you for asking such beautiful questions
about one of the noblest companions of the Prophet (SAW).
Once, the Prophet (SAW) told Bilal that he (SAW) heard his footsteps in
Paradise and asked him what action he does that gave him such an honorable
status. Bilal replied that he thinks it is because every time he is out of
wudhu (ablution), he always renews his wudhu and makes sure that he prays
two superogatory raka'a (naafila) for each wudhu.

The Prophet (SAW) tacitly approved of this Sunnah and it has since become
known as 'hadith Bilal'. Check it out in Sahih Bukhari or Muslim.

Once Bilal was told a racial remark by one of the companions (Abu Dharr
al-Ghiffaari (RA)). He told him something like, you son of a Black woman.
The Prophet (SAW) became very angry at this uncouth racial slaw and he
upbraided Abu Dharr (RA) by telling him that he is a man who still has a lot
of Jaahiliyya (ignorance) left in him. Abu Dharr became very ashamed and
regretted his unfortunate statement. He went down and placed his head on the
ground asking Bilal to step over his head and asked for his forgiveness.
Check Sahih Bukhari or Muslim for the full story.

With that brief introduction about the noble companion who received glad
tidings of Paradise from his beloved Prophet (SAW), who preferred his call
to prayer (adhan) over everyone elses, I confirm to you that indeed, Bilal
was married to a woman from one of the noblest families of Quraish. His
brother-in-law was Abdurahman bin 'Auf ( one of the ten companions who was
given glad tidings of Paradise in this life- Ashra mubaashiraat). Abdurahman
(RA) was also one of the wealthiest companions of the Prophet (SAW).

Here is what Sheickh Sayed Darsh had to say about Bilal's marriage in answer
to a question. Sheikh Syed Darsh, graduate of Al-Azhar, Cairo, Chairman of
UK Shari'ah Council and expert on family matters, answers some frequently
asked questions about marriage. These questions are taken from the magazine
called "Trends".

   Question: Can a parent refuse a proposal from a good Muslim for
             his daughter on the basis that the suitor is not of the
             same race/caste?

Answer:
     There is no concept of caste in Islam. Racial background is a
     fact of life. The Qur'an considers the difference of race,
     colour or language as signs of the creative ability of Allah:
     "And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and earth and
     the difference of your language and colours. Lo! Here indeed are
     signs for men of knowledge."(Ar-Rum:22).

     In chapter 49, verse 13 is the most universal doctrine of human
     equality and brotherhood: "Oh mankind! We have created you from
     a male and a female, and then rendered you into nations and
     tribes so that you might know one another. Indeed the most
     honourable among you in the sight of Allah is he who is most
     pious."

     There is a wealth of ahadith quoted by Al-Qurtubi in his
     commentary on this Qur'anic verse where the Messenger of Allah
(SAW)
     condemned outright any racial impact on the Islamic society. For
     the very reason we come across many examples of people who, from
     a racial view, were not considered equal to Arab women marrying
     among the high tribal class.  Bilal married the sister of
     AbdurRahman ibn Awf. Zayd (also a freed slave) was married to one
of the noble ladies of the tribe of Quraysh and so on........

InshaAllah, I intend to get Sheickh Dr. AbuAminah Bilal Phillips (the
Jamaican scholar who got the inspiration for his name from Bilal when he
first converted to Islaam in the 70's) to give us a comprehensive biography
and possibly commentary about the noble Sahabah Bilal ( may Allah be pleased
with him). In the mean time let us all keep searching and say 'Rabbi zidnee
ilma' (O Lord, increase me in knowledge). In that regard, we must be patient
and careful. May Allah give us patience and strengthen our feet. Allahumma
salli wasallim ala Nabiyyina Muhammad. Wasalaam.

Modou Mbye