GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"A. Prox" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 22:57:05 +0100
Dear list members,

I was very upset reading the article. Especially the part concerning
European women. Such articles, reports and TV stories are creating heavy
prejudice in public. They are deeply influencing public opinion against
Africans, business or marriage with Africans.As I am a German women married
to a Gambian I feel especially concerned as such articles increase the
haressment.

I think this article is exactly matching the tone of what average
European expect things to be and loves to read. Other publications like
Betty Mahmoody (Nicht ohne meine Tochter)create strong prejudice towards
Africans and Muslims.

All this talking about unstable politics, insecurity, uncleanness, or
threat of diseases will not only effect our personal lives, as we have
to face prejudice in our own neighbourhood. It has a very disastrous effect
on the reputation of the Gambia as a trustworthy business partner or as a
nice holiday resort.

For today’s business, peoples expectations are the most important factor for
failure or success.We should be aware that freedom of press has two sides.
Truth does not matter, media does.

Therefore I don´t think it is enought simply to put such articles to the
dust bin. It would be much better if thoses who know the Gambia would
publish more materials that display the Gambia in a correct way. Maybe some
list members could think of some good materials, books, references.

Angelika Prox Dampha