GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Saikou Samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:31:16 -0000
Karamba,
A beautiful and interesting one.These are among the ways that the "New Mind"
will be created.The creation of the new mind will be dictated by the very
conditions we are facing and the struggle we are involved in to better these
conditions as individuals and collective .We all know and accept that it is
wrong and criminal to shoot down student demonstrators.This will never
happen in the new Gambia we are all hoping for.
You might not be consciously doing it,but it sounds as if you are saying
that the people are to be blamed for their decadency after insisting that
Gambian are great and hard working people.You said :
      " All of the failures that ensued from these sectors are
> primarily ours because we did not do what was required to maintain these
> critical aspects of our development "

"We" have not been informed of even these projects we just see them or hear
them over the Radio.I am of the opinion that if we take your "We" to mean
the responsible Authorities then we will be able to see the point DR is
marking ,as you put, that  " ...... most post colonial
> countries failed partly because foreign institutions literally imposed
> systems and ways that are alien to our situations.."

The corruption etc are a reflection of the socio economic and political
situation of a Country and with the "New Mind" taking control of the
political and economic situation in the country such would not be difficult
to do away with.When the Taxi Driver comes and hand you over D100 and keep
the D20 in his pocket,he has to,because he and his family have to eat
tomorrow and the Children have to go to school and perhaps one of them to
the hospital.You know paying him D600 a month would not be able to handle
all these things for a whole month.
The IMF comes to tell your government,well more loans means you have to show
a satisfactory budget and which means limited spending and more
revenues,take it or leave it.You have no choice and you decide to take
it.The little money you have to spend must be done in priority,you either
choose to build Fortress Kaninlai, ARCH 22, more Tanks and bullets or cheap
medicine,cheap school books etc,etc.
Do we need a Camtel or do we need to Electrify the country in the interest
of economic development and prosperity,we need both of them,to say which one
comes first if "we" have to , is never been put to us, not even our experts
are being question because it becomes very political, for example ,as Yaya
Jammeh would say that there was no Television station in the Gambia before
and knowing very well that more than 60 % of our hard working people do not
even have electricity in their houses let alone to afford a TV and their tax
money was paying Tombong  who even have to be sacked from the job because of
bad management.I am of the Opinion that the "New Mind"  will take create
heed to such nonsense.We are learning very fast and victory is certain.Keep
on the good work.

For Freedom
Saiks