GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Yusupha C. Jow" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:41:37 EDT
Director General Denies Charges

As the Local Government Elections gets nearer, the National Intelligence
Agency, (NIA) has been accused of allegedly impounding 3000 voters cards from
Foni.

The accusation were forwarded by a caller claiming to be from Bwiam on a GRTS
IEC show in the run up to the April 25th Local Government Elections. The
caller who said he was concerned about the alleged impounding of voters cards
by the NIA urged the IEC panel to vigorously pursue the matter. He wondered
why the voters cards should be seized and whether the NIA has the right to
impound the voters cards. The IEC officials at the show expressed dismay over
the claims saying it was news to them. They promised the caller that they
will take up the matter with the NIA officials, stressing that nobody has the
right to impound such cards. They called on the public not to hand over their
voters cards to people who are not officials of the IEC.

In another development said Usuf, the IEC Information Officer yesterday told
The Point that the NIA Director General Kebba Ceesay has flatly denied
accusations. “We had a meeting with the Director General of the NIA and he
denied the claims. He said it is not true. He said the allegations are
unfounded,” said Usuf in a telephone conversation with this reporter.
According to the Information Officer Usuf, the NIA Director General flatly
rejected the charges. Usuf said he challenged the caller to report to the IEC
if has evidence to back up his allegations. He added that the caller is also
free to go to the police or the courts to seek redress if he feels that he
has a case. Said Usuf told The Point that nobody has the right to seize
voters cards including the NIA. “The cards belongs to the IEC. They don’t
have the right to seize anybody’s cards. But they said the allegations are
unfounded,” said Mr. Usuf.

Usuf added that there are people in this country, who are bent on peddling
false rumours while citing the October 17 Presidential elections where there
was this rumours that 30,000 people were at the Brikama College. “All these
were rumours,” he concluded.

Speaking to The Point the NIA DG Kebba Ceesay expressed surprised, “it is
news to me, if he is too sure of what he is saying, he should disclose his
identity.” Mr. Ceesay who burst into laughter added. “If he feels what he is
saying is correct why should he call the GRTS? Why can he come to the NIA?
Why should he hide his identity? I am reserving my opinion until I know this
man.”