GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 17:00:23 -0400
Clearly Laye Wade’s calculations that Yaya was a ‘peace-maker’ in the
Casamance debacle backfired. Wade bought into the garbage that Gambia was
capable of (and was interested in) brokering peace between the Casamance
rebels and Wade’s government. Consequently, the Wade government adopted the
‘policy’ of kissing up to our Dictatorship in Gambia and ignoring the plight
of Gambians while telling blatant LIES about conditions in Gambia like the
state of our ‘justice system’. Recent events in Casamance should show Wade
and his government that Yaya has neither the wherewithal nor the political
will to bring ‘peace’ to Casamance.

Despite that this ‘war’ is spilling into Gambia and you have ‘refugees’
moving back and forth (willy-nilly) from Senegal to Gambia, the government
in Banjul CANNOT even solve this ‘GAMBIAN PROBLEM’. It was certainly wishful
thinking on the part of Wade and his advisers that if they come to Banjul,
say a few things about how Yaya was upholding law and order and invite the
Dictatorship to Dakar, bingo! Casamance is solved. I hope it is now clear to
the whole world the kind of people we are dealing with.

It takes more than the mental midgets in Banjul to broker ‘peace’ in
Casamance. Gambians should be happy if the morons are even able to secure
our borders. This inept military only knows how to steal power. Now they
CANNOT even protect Gambians living in the border region with Senegal.
Rebels move freely in the region terrorizing people, killing innocent
citizens and displacing populations. And there is NOT a darn thing Banjul
can do about that. Only dreamers would expect an army led by Yaya and
Babucarr Jatta to ‘deal’ appropriately with the Casamance rebels.

As for Blaise at the Foreign Office, the man is even scared of his own
shadow. He is waiting to be played like a yo-yo. What he does not realize is
that the man he is waiting on, is clueless. Yaya, that sleeps during
‘military briefings’ (because he spent the previous night drinking ‘ataya’)
does NOT have a clue what to tell Blaise. We have a sorry state of affairs
back home. How on earth people expected these clowns to solve these kinds of
problems is simply mind-boggling.

I hope Wade and his government wakes up and smell the coffee and know that
the Dictatorship in Banjul CANNOT help them. Recent rebel activities in the
region shows that Yaya does NOT have the wherewithal to contain the rebels;
or if he does, he is NOT willing to contain the rebels.
KB