GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 19:54:13 EDT
Absjorn,

It is a clear intention to creat a  police state when the army is given these
duties that clearly belong to the police. It is not something that happens in
the normal course of events, and there was no national security issue that
warranted such emergency action. Either it was done to justify the army
harrassing innocent Gambians, or it is a last ditch effort in the long list
of attempts to cover up or justify  the atrocities committed on April 10 and
11.
This harassment and orchestration of tactics to take away the rights of
Gambians continues as substantiated by the present situation with the UDP
members that are being slapped with some trumped up murder charge, when all
the were doing was defending themselves against an unwarranted attack.
The question I have is how many people can be charged with the murder of one
terrorist who was engaged in breaking the law by attacking these people as
they went about their business? On the other hand, those soldiers who
committed their crimes against the people in broad daylight, complete with
ample witnesses are still scot free, while the people who authorized the
commission of this crime buy time with commissions of enquiry and bogus
explanations.

Jabou Joh

In a message dated 6/22/00 1:02:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,