GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ceesay, Soffie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:32:40 -0500
FYI.

Keeping the kids motivated is a struggle but this is essential to their
future success.  Anyone with a magic wand that I can borrow to transform
an "I hate the teacher, I hate math" child into a "yes, I can do it and
will do it" child :)?

Soffie

________________________________

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]

Math matters - more than ever

Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2006

Commentary

June E. Streckfus

<http://rotator.adjuggler.com/servlet/ajrotator/104357/0/clickCGI?zone=g
azette>

How many times do we adults say to one another, ''I'm just not good at
math?"

That may be true for some of us. But it won't be a good enough answer
for our children. Understanding advanced math has become a basic
requirement for the new generation of jobs. In fact, you may be shocked
at the central role that math now quietly plays in today's routine jobs
and services. Consider:

*In the next 15 years, 3.3 million American jobs will move to East Asia,
not because of cheaper labor but because these countries educate their
workers in higher math and other essential job skills, according to a
study by the American Electronics Association.

*In 62 percent of American jobs over the next 10 years, entry-level
workers will need to be proficient in algebra, geometry, data
interpretation, probability and statistics, according to a study by the
American Diploma Project.

*All high school students need similar levels of math knowledge whether
they are headed for college or going directly into the workforce,
according to the same study.

*Math is the key skill for designing and running Internet search
engines, Wall Street investment systems, computer software code,
analysis of consumer and business databases, systems to target audiences
for advertising, and countless information management and security
companies. In the words of a top researcher for the National Security
Agency, ''There has never been a better time to be a mathematician."

*Today's biggest rising stars in industry are mathematicians. Top
mathematicians commonly start with six-figure salaries and generous
stock deals. And graduates who are well-trained in higher mathematics
are in great demand generally.

*Math entrepreneurs, who use higher math to design new services in such
fields as financial analysis and scientific research, are making a
fortune, often selling their companies for hundreds of millions of
dollars.

What it all means is that ''not being good at math" is no longer an
option for students who want a shot at today's careers. Your child needs
math. Now. As a parent, here is what you can do:

If you are the parent of a high-schooler:

*Make sure your child takes and passes algebra I, geometry and algebra
II. These are the gateway courses for the problem-solving skills he or
she will need in the career marketplace.

*Even if your child fulfills the math requirements by junior year,
insist that he or she take a math class, such as calculus, senior year.
What is simply ''required" is often not enough to gain an advantage in
the job and college markets.

*Stay on top of your child's homework. Make sure he or she keeps up with
assignments.

If you are the parent of a middle-schooler:

*Be sure your child takes algebra I in middle school if possible. This
will enable him or her to go farther with higher-level math in high
school.

*Meet often with your child's teacher, and be sure to discuss how your
child is doing in math.

If you are the parent of a elementary-schooler:

*Make math fun. Do puzzles, measure things, count money, and create
everyday problems to solve - in comparing prices and savings in stores,
measuring the time it takes for different stoplights to change and other
situations.

*Consider music lessons, which help mathematical thinking.

*Try not to impart any fear of math to your child.

*Meet regularly with your child's teacher, and talk about your child's
progress in math and how you can help.

Most importantly, for all students, if your child is struggling with
math, get help early. Today, math is more of a must than ever. Your
involvement as a parent can help to make the difference. Make sure your
child is now getting the math that he or she will need later in life.

June Streckfus is executive director of the Maryland Business Roundtable
for Education, a statewide coalition of more than 100 major employers
committed to improving student achievement in the state.

K Romero

.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1646574/grpspId=1705081176/m
sgId=14506/stime=1163608895/nc1=4013954/nc2=3848593/nc3=3848518>

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい