GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 15:40:23 -0000
Saul Khan:

Thanks for all your good efforts and for sending Representative Ford’s
e-mail address. On one hand, I can see the point you are making: on the
other hand, I have received private e-mails saying that it would be
important to go ahead with a petition, because in America everything is
based on the people’s opinions: politicians take opinion polls seriously.

I shall forward an e-mail I received from a strong proponent of a petition
to Rep Ford.

Anyway, below is the Petition letter I have put together, so let the
"elders" on the Gambia-L decide whether we should go ahead with this.  If
there is a consensus, then let George Sarr put it up, with his usual
computer wizardry !

Ebrima Ceesay

Petition to Representative Johnny Ford and the World Conference of Mayors

Representative Ford,

We, the undersigned, implore you to reconsider and change the venue for the
2001 World Conference of Mayors to a more democratic country.

It is regrettable that you have chosen Banjul, The Gambia as the location
for this year’s Conference, but it is not too late for you to make other
arrangements for your organisation’s conference.

We urge you to study the current status of The Gambia by reading the US
State Department Country Reports from 1995 to the present, and to read the
reports of Human Rights organisations such as Amnesty International, Article
19 and Interrights for the same period.
All these reports clearly demonstrate the undemocratic nature of the regime
in The Gambia and point to severe and regular harassment and persecution of
the country’s citizenry.

Since the Armed Forces Provisional Ruling Council seized power in a military
coup in 1994 and Colonel Jammeh was elected president in controversial
elections in September 1996, human rights have been violated with impunity.

Ordinary citizens, ex-security personnel,  journalists and politicians have
all been targeted by the Gambian authorities and remain today subject to
human rights violation, including arbitrary detention, harassment, torture
and ill-treatment.  Indeed the human rights situation in The Gambia
continues to be of serious concern to Gambians and to the international
community.

Political tension in the country is high.  The government claimed to have
foiled two alleged coup plots in January and June 2000.  Harassment and
repression of political opponents continues unabated:  in July 2000 Colonel
Jammeh  was quoted in the press  as having said that "anyone bent on
disturbing the peace and stability of the nation will be buried six feet
deep".

As of now, citizens are still being held incommunicado for long periods and
without charge in gross violation of the Constitution.  At least fourteen
young students (including a three year old child) were killed and dozens
injured in April 2000 when security forces used excessive and indiscriminate
force to break up a peaceful student demonstration over the killing of their
fellow student, Ebrima Barry, by agents of the government.

The judiciary continues to suffer from government interference, and as
recently as last week,  Jammeh  wrongfully dismissed two Magistrates and the
Master of the Supreme Court, leading the Chief Justice to resign in
solidarity with his colleagues.  In December 2000, Jammeh also dismissed the
Chairman of the Independent Electoral Commission, Bishop Johnson, in total
violation of the Constitution.  As the Presidential elections approach,
Jammeh is using every trick in the book to consolidate himself in power.

The Gambia today is characterised by repression, corruption, poverty,
mismanagement of public funds at the highest levels and economic stagnation

In the light of the above, we concerned Gambians and friends of The Gambia
urge you to:

1. Change your venue for the June 2001 Conference of World Mayors.

2. Sever the links between your organisation and the brutal regime of Yayha
Jammeh in The Gambia.

3. Lobby the new US Secretary of State, Colin Powell and key members of the
international community, to prevail upon the Gambian government to respect
the country’s Constitution, to uphold human rights, to ensure that
presidential and parliamentary elections are free and fair, and to release
all those who are held illegally, including Lt. Lalo Jaiteh, Dumo Saho,
Ebrima Yarboe and many more.

4. Enlighten the African American community in the USA about the true nature
of the Gambian regime.

5. Cement ties with Gambians in the Diaspora and at home who are committed
to the restoration of genuine democracy in The Gambia.

We trust that you will take our concerns seriously, and act accordingly.

Yours truly,