GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi M Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 08:58:37 GMT
Jabou, Ndey, Fatou, KB, Abdoulaye, Bro Habib el al,

Thank you for expressing your concern about our safety. I can assure all
that we are all taking the necessary precautions. Yesterday the situation
was fluid, this morning it is highly volatile with APCs on the streets with
soldiers, apparently backing Laurent Gbagbo, urging his supporters on
towards the Presidential Palace in Plateau. Heavy gun fire at one of the
army barracks was heard through out the early hours of the morning. Street
barricades have been erected by the Gbagbo supporters in Youpougon, Adjame
and Koumassi areas of Abidjan since the end of the curfew at 06:00 GMT this
morning. Both Laurent Donna Fologo of the PDCI and Ouattara of RDR have
indicated that they will not join the protest of Gbagbo since he has been
playing ball with the military through out the transition instead of
standing firmly with the PDCI and RDR, two of the biggest political parties
which were both excluded from the election leading to their subsequent
boycott. Both parties consider the election illegitimate because of the
exclusionary clauses embedded in the Constitution and the eligibility
criteria for the presidential candidate designed, in their view, to exclude
the biggest political threats to the rule of Gen. Guei. A call I received
moments ago confirmed that, indeed, there are hundreds of Gbagbo supporters
assembling in different parts of the city, ready on the march toward the
Presidential Palace. Where it will all end is anybody's guess. In case you
guys (Jabou el al) are wondering, I am holed up in my residence with my
family, as are all Bank staff not on mission.
Sidi Sanneh