GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 18:37:49 EST
Dr Saine,
                thanks once again for writing an interesting analysis of the
past Presidential elections. I am in agreement with you in the overall thrust
of your analysis regarding the process, the issues, the personalities and all
but one of your conclusions. I don't think your apparent conclusion that the
PPP adversely affected the prospects of the coalition atleast in the minds of
the voters is supported by any conclusive evidence. On the contrary, in U.R.D
where the coalition won all but one of the districts, the efforts of former
PPP politicians like Omar Sey were crucial in making the Opposition win even
more decisively. It is certainly true that the PPP politicians have lost some
of their clout with the electorate especially in the greater Banjul area
where time and changing demographics pose a challenge for even O.J who once
controlled a formidable machinery in his district. If you look at Nuimi and
Saloum in which two former PPP politicians namely Landing Jallow Sonko and
Amulaye  Janneh used to win confortably , neither man could deliver in this
last election. That points to the fickle nature of an electorate perpetually
inclined to support whoever is in power rather than a sudden  dissatisfaction
with politicians they supported for years .
       The elections were determined primarily by fear successfully peddled
by the government coupled with electoral fraud and cash inducements. It
worked and we have an illegitimate government to show for it.
Karamba