GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beran jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 10:23:26 -0500
From The Point

Jammeh Threats To Sack Civil Servants

What The People Say?

According to the Gambia Daily which was also carried by our Monday October
29th issue, President Yaya Jammeh in a meeting with the campaign committee
of the APRC in the KMC disclosed that any civil servants in his government
who opposed to the APRC will lose their jobs. Starting from last Monday.
President Jammeh further went on to say that those NGO’s who also engaged
themselves in supporting the opposition will be dealt with accordingly.

Following numerous phone calls to his office by many people after such
utterance by the president your favourite column which way out for the past
weeks again took to the streets of Serrekunda, Banjul, Markets “Attaya’
vous, carparks and offices to sample the opinions of the people.

First to speak to The Point is a lab technician namewitheld: Jammeh’s called
for a reconciliation and to work together and forget the past differences is
only a mere up services, believe you me if he continue to sack civil servant
he will loose the next elections. Mama Kanyi Market Vendor: For me I am
thinking of my husband who is a real opposition supporter and I doubt if he
will not be sacked. However I am appealing to Jammeh to allow even one to
support any party of his choice without due interference. Bobo Darboe A Taxi
Driver: Jammeh should try and change his way of governance. How can every
body like him when some people denied that God id existing and refused to
pray to him. Like wise Prophet Muhammed (PBUH).

A Civil Servant Name withheld: Me I will never fear any sacking because I
know my fate is determinated by the Almighty Allah and not ant human being
for the matter. You see people should have faith in God and stop worshipping
their fellow human being.

Dodou Njie A Youth in Banjul: If any civil servant knows that you cannot
support Jammeh, is better for them to resigned rather than undermining and
frustrating his governments efforts to develop his country.

Teneng Jobe Serrekunda A Student: For me I blame those so-called
intellectuals who keeps on signing after Jammeh. If all the intellectuals
refuse to take his appointments like what the Foroyaa people did, the Jammeh
will change his style.” Shame to all of them.” (Sycophants).

Bolong Manneh Latrikunda Sabiji: People should not blame Yaya Jammeh but the
people who opposed to him. Nobody would like to see your enemy destroying
you and so Scot free. If you don’t like Jammeh and the government leave and
wait for the one your would like to support.

Mariama Sonko Banjul: The Gambians only have themselves to blame hence they
voted for Jammeh. This is just the beginning, I know more sacking will
follow. Papa Njie Fitter: Let Jammeh put his eye on the people working under
him and forget about the NGO’s in the country.

Gambians cannot afford to miss the NGO’s because they step in where the
government could not reach. If they support any opposition or ruling party
is their right to long as they are Gambians.

A Teacher Namewithheld: Heh! This Gambia, now it is the teachers turn. With
all the little salary couple with the hard work and suffering we are
undergoing now they want to sack us. Belahi! We are going to die with our
families. After all what can a teacher do make the opposition win. Ssshh!