GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Modou Samba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 19:06:54 -0800
Guys what are we going to do about the issue of the
radio station. I have to say that this was not my
original idea. I first came accross it on "voice out,"
and i want to share it with the rest of Gambia-Lers.
Personally, I don't think I have the kind of contacts
that can help jump start this project; I'm a student.
However, I'm sure that there are people here who might
have or know of the kinds of contacts we need to get
this neccessary project going. In fact, I believe it
was here on Gam-L where I once read about a UK or
France based organization that was financially helping
entrepreneurs in the west African regions to start
newspapers and Radio Stations. So my countrymen/women
lets put our heads together and see how far we can go
with this project. Lets not give up until all possible
venues are exhausted. I'm sure their is at least one
of our neighbouring countries who will be willing to
assit us in this endeavour.
  You have to agree that this is one of the best
alternatives for the Gambia. I believe that the reason
most people are still rallying behind the present
government is because they are not well informed. As
elections is approaching, the least we can do is to
help turn our sisters and brothers into informed
voters. Of course, we all know that, despite all of
the noise most of us are making here, the majority of
us will not board an airplane just to go an vote come
election time- due one reason or the other. Needless
to mention that our government will not even entertain
the idea of an absentee ballot. So what most we do to
ensure we still contribute to national building,
eventhough we might be miles away. Sedat Jobe brought
the challenge to us when he said that "they do not
take us gambians in abroad seriously," because we are
all leaving an idle life here rather than the helping
the country. Well with this project(which will of
course only join the list of other noble deeds by
gambians in the diaspora), we can show Jobe and the
rest of Gambia that our hearts, minds and resources
are with them day and night in the struggle to secure
a better home for our Gambia.

peace