GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamin Sanyang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 May 2002 02:25:21 +0000
The List Management,
Thanx for reminding us the rules to be followed when one joins Gambia-L!
There is a clamor for free speech! Hope you will settle this recent fracas
between membership and your good selves in a very commendable way!

When Jawara was in power, i guess the biggest insults hurled at him by
people like myself were:

Dictator
Murderer
Unpatriotic &
Power-hungry

Not because one did not command uncouth and vulgar vocabulary! But may be
due to his age, people like myself see Jawara old enough to be our father.
Even when he was at his most terrible. We shout/graffiti
'Ngunja!!!' and race down the street! (Hahahahahahahaha!!!!)

Jammeh's case is totally different. He is younger than a lot of people on
this List. He is in the same age group as a lot of people on this List. And
he is 'just' a few years older than a lot of people on this List! This makes
Yaya Jammeh a leader who people can address very informally. That
informality can easily result in sending him a daily dose of invectives when
he's saddled with the corpses of twelve young lives, incacerated prisoners
of conscience, and wailing farmers. People like OJ have 'only' one dangling
corpse down their neck; when his body guard shot a guy dead in broad day
light!

But whereby Jammeh, Yankuba and their group are young and fit the
description of D**Heads, there are people old enough to be our parents in
that Government/Cabinet. Somebody's father is there, and somebody's mother
is there. And fact is these people are subscribed on Gambia-L. Even if i am
not afraid of a confrontation or a hidding, i will feel very ashamed to call
someone like Sheriff Mustapha Dibba names in front of his son/daughter when
the latter has not addressed any of my parents with uncouth metaphors. Our
culture does not encourage that kind of freedom of speech, and it will be
very sad if we have to abandon it for anarchy! Let us remember Njaga Mbaye's
famous words:

'Li nga giss chi nit ki beh hasskoh, gissnako chi yoow dafa nopi!'

(live & direct translation: whatever you see in another person that warrants
an insult, has already been observed by him/her on you. The person is just
being quite)

And when you call people names, when you insult them, or you insult their
parents or relatives, don't expect them to just roll over, stand up and give
you a hug.

People working with Jammeh have all kinds of invectitives hurled at them. At
times justified, many a time very uncalled for! If what is going on in our
country really hurts us and cannot be contained any longer...let us do as
Jammeh did...'hani seesay mang faa', (not even a chicken died). When i
joined Gambia-L i made this appeal. Today i am leaving Gambia-L with the
same appeal! Being a cyber 'guerilla' will not put food in our farmers'
hungry stomachs. Dampha and all who share the dream of a free Gambia, if you
cannot demonstrate in New York for one reason or the other, it is HIGH time
you divert all that excessive energy in cyber to the ground. To mobilize the
masses or take the short cut. Whichever you choose, kindly let me know to
put in my worth(which as Manneh would say is not much anyway), but which
definitely will be given whole heartedly!

To Dave Manneh:
You are endowed with a great gift; the special gift to move people. Even if
you you had to learn the word PLAGIARISM from Edi Sidibeh:-)! Please use
your gift in a wise and constructive way!

To the following, thanx for sharing your knowledge, being motivating,
humorous and sometimes jump-starting my day/week

Karamba Touray
Joe Sambou
Yusupha Jow
Bakary Kanteh