GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 09:39:45 -0800
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 04:25:00 EST
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
Subject: [wa-afr] New Ghanaian Leader Pledges To Fight 'Humiliating'
    Problems Of Africa

President Kufuor pledges to fight 'humiliating' problems of Africa

President John Agyekum Kufuor on Tuesday reaffirmed his commitment to
co-operate with fellow African heads of state in confronting the political
and socio-economic challenges plaguing the continent.

Speaking with the African group of the diplomatic corps, Mr Kufuor described
as 'humiliating' the social political and economic discomfiture of the
continent caused by poverty, diseases, debt and the scourge of war and which
continue to wreak havoc on its peoples.

He assured the envoys of good governance under his leadership, saying it is
the belief of his government that it is only in true freedom that the
people's hidden potentials could be liberated and harnessed, especially the
youth in the task of nation building. "The success of our leadership must be
measured not only by our commitment to a visible improvement in the living
standards of our people but also to the principles of democracy, good
governance and the rule of law."

Members of the group, led by Ambassador Elwood Greaves of Liberia, called at
the State House to express support for the new government. The meeting also
provided an opportunity for the government and the representatives of the
various African states to renew bonds of co-operation in confronting the
challenges, especially of economic and political instability.

"Great challenges face us as leaders of our people to build and sustain peace
on our continent and develop institutions and structures that will ensure
sustainable economic development for our people," President Kufuor said.
Congratulating the President, his team and Ghanaians for successful
elections, Ambassador Greaves said it is an achievement that would continue
to inspire and give impetus to the quest for democracy, good governance, and
respect for human rights in the continent.

"The road Ghana has charted at the dawn of Africa's awakening by being the
first African state, south of the Sahara to breath the air of freedom, is
being continued by Ghana once again being among the few, but important
countries, to effect a change of government through the ballot box." Mr
Greaves lauded Mr Kufuor's pledge to good governance, rule of law and
corrupt-free administration saying these virtues place him firmly along the
new generation of leadership in the continent.

Ghana News Agency  *  February 6, 2001  *  Accra / GHANA

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details
http://click.egroups.com/1/11231/1/_/23029/_/981624304/

Our next meeting is Wednesday, Feb 28, Safeco Center, E Main and 23rd, Seattle
7:00 PM WSAN business meeting
8:00 PM Program: TBA
We usually meet the last Wednesday of the month.  To post a message: [log in to unmask]  To subscribe sending a blank message to [log in to unmask]  To unsubscribe send a blank message to [log in to unmask]  For complete information on the Washington State Africa Network visit: www.ibike.org/africamatters