GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 14:07:05 +0100
7 September 2000.

Chairman,
Independent Electoral Commission,
Kairaba Avenue,
Latrikunda.

On Candidature, Deposits  and Election Monitoring for Chieftaincy Election
in Sami

It is the impression of many that chieftaincy elections will not be
conducted on partisan basis. However, Section 58 of the Constitution is
silent on this matter. The old Local Government laws contain nothing on the
issue. The Elections Decree is also silent on the matter. The Bill providing
for the emergence of new Local Government laws is yet to come into force.

This is precisely the reason why I am directed by the Central Committee of
PDOIS to inquire whether the chieftaincy election in Sami District, which is
to be held on November 16, 2000, will be done on partisan basis or not. It
is absolutely necessary for your office to make pronouncement on this matter
so that political parties will make adequate preparations prior to the
holding of the election.

We consider it inappropriate just to assume that the election would be on a
non-partisan basis. Our duty is to ensure that what is done is what is
prescribed by law and not what is assumed to be logical. We need
clarification on this matter as soon as possible.

Furthermore, our Party delegates have raised the question of deposits. We
have claimed that political parties have to shoulder tremendous
responsibilities in running their whole machinery. Even the subjecting of
their accounts to external auditing cost tens of thousands of dalasis. To
put up candidates in National Assembly elections in 45 constituencies
require a deposit of D225,000.00.

Section 43 of the Elections Decree, which requires a deposit of D5000.00 by
each candidate for election to the National Assembly, also obliges
candidates to the office of District Chiefs to deposit D2000.00. Such
deposits ought to be revisited prior to the chieftaincy election in Sami.

Section 134 of the Elections Decree states categorically that,

"The Commission .... shall in particular make rules revising the deposits
payable under this Decree."

Furthermore, it is within the competence of your Commission to make rules
regarding the monitoring of elections. The chieftaincy election in Sami
shall be the first election conducted since 1997. Section 134, subsection
(2) (d) of the Elections Decree states categorically that,

"The Commission .... shall in particular make rules authorising individuals,
local and international organisations, and members of the press and media to
witness the registration of voters and the conduct of elections."

It is particularly important, as a test case, for your Commission to ensure
that observers are authorised to monitor the Sami election.

While anticipating that you will give these concerns your prompt attention,
please accept the assurances of our highest consideration.

Yours,

Halifa Sallah
For: The Central Committee.

All Political Parties