GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamadi Banna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 08:20:41 -0500
Haruna,

This is shocking news, indeed! I did not access my e-mail throughout the
weekend. Yukasay was a friend, who I will remember as an intelligent young
man with a deep sense of humility.  I cannot forget the political
discussions we used to have just after we graduated from high school, and
the days we spent together in Sebha, Libya in the early 80s.  I once asked
him what 'Yukasay' meant and he told me it meant 'old man' in the Soninke
language.  After that, I'd sometimes call him 'little old man' and he'd
brush it off with a smile.

The Gambia has no doubt lost one of its most promising magistrates.

To his wife, and you Haruna and the Musa Darboe family I wish to extend my
most sincere condolences.

Hamadi.