GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 11:48:30 PST
O. B Sillah,

"Talk About Africa" is aired every Wednesday, at 7 pm GMT, and I can assure
you that it is a very good programme. Yes, you can listen to the programme
on the Internet.

The programme is, most of the time, chaired by one of Africa's most
competent/respected journalists, Elizabeth Ohene, who is a Ghanaian. Ms
Ohene is also the deputy editor-in-chief of the popular Focus on Africa
programme. She is certainly a leading authority on African Affairs.

By the way, during the transition period, I suggested to Elizabeth to devote
two programmes to Gambian politics, and she agreed without delay.

Consequently, two good programmes were devoted to Gambia. In the  first
programme, I forgot who the panelists were; but in the second programme, the
panelists were Pap Cheyassin Secka, Abdou Sarah Jahna, Lawyer Ousainou
Darboe, Zaya Yeebo, the Ghanaian who wrote the book on the Jammeh coup, and
Ebrima A.M Drammeh, then a law student at Buckingham University in England.

Ebou Dibba, the Gambian author, was supposed to take part in the last
programme, but he later declined the invitation after a second thought. I
myself was also supposed to take part in the programme, but Elizabeth
dropped me, because, at the time, they could only take two telephone lines
from the Gambia simultaneously. Consequently, Lawyers Ousainou Darboe and
Pap Cheyassin were the only two people who could be accomodated.

But, nowadays, the technology is advanced. They now have the facilities to
have, say, Halifa Sallah, Lawyer Darboe, Hamat Bah and Tombong Saidy,
debating via telephone from the Gambia, while the moderator is seated in
London.

Anyway, I'll go ahead and ask the BBC to conduct such a programme on the
Gambia. I would inform Gambia L members on the outcome.

Ebrima Ceesay
Birmingham, UK.