GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saihou Mballow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 22:17:28 -0700
In my last posting,i promised to continue the comment
i started on women ,politics and gender issues.I will
begin with bringing you the interview of Mrs Isatou
Touray a leading gender activist made wednesday
Nov.2000 following the attack on the alledged"sex
workers" in pubs and hotels.

Mrs Touray was speaking at the Gamcotrap office and
said."gambian women are always subjected to mental and
physical torture,which is a gross violation of their
fundamental rights."she went on, they are part of the
state,they have a right,and being single does not mean
you are a sex worker.you have a freedom to live and
entaintain and enjoy your life as and when you like
it.That does not mean you are doing sex work and in
any case,it takes both men and women to sex work,Mrs
Touray lamented.

"I think there are certain things that are going on in
this country today with regards to women lives and
that is any group can just get up and say these women
are involved in skin bleaching and these women are
putting on short dresses.There individual rights,their
sexual rights,their individuality is being
undermined,their existence is being eroded,"she said.

Mrs.Touray complained that gambian women are being
marginalised even though they constitute 51 percent of
the population.she said women have been contributing
to all aspects of the socio-economic development of
the country but complained about the slow pace of
justice in case involving women.

Finally,she said"women are being threatened and i am
telling you that every gambian woman for that matter
is threantened and is actually thinking of something
else.I wonder if these would not be translated into
negative votes in the next coming elections,women have
right to self-determination"she concluded.

You see,the real words of of the gambian women but not
the discrepancy and lies that Kebba is trying to
bring.the rhetoric of the APRC govrnment and the
actual practice concerning women is different.Many
women are repulsed by the hypocrisy involved.The cheap
propaganda on APRC-women in politics that Kebba is
trying to frame is neither at home nor in any gambian
society today.

 Yahya Jammeh's misogynist propaganda against women
has been known to every honest gambian.He has on many
ocassions insulted gambian women publicly on TV and
Radio and this is an open secret.He is the first
president to jail women for skin bleaching and his
government is one and only dirty govrnment that has
tortured women on their private parts in the present
of three secretaries of state Yankuba Touray,Edward
Singhateh and Kabba Bajo on september 22nd,1996 at the
Denton Bridge during an attacked on UDP entourage.

This government is not at all committed to "practical
feminism"reform causes in promoting skills and
financial resources to build up network of good works
onbehalf of mothers,children and abandoned infants.

As i am writing today,many mothers cannot pay for
their children's school fees as a result their
children are with them at home but not in school and
Kebba you think that is the government out to help
women,please,let be serious about issues.

 BELOW IS UDP VIEWS ON WOMEN AND POLITICS
The lack of women's political participation is a very
barrier to genuine democracy.If women are not present
at policy and decision making levels,there is a
democractic deficit.Decision taken without women's
perspective lack credibility in a democratic
context.Therefore,by their participation women broaden
the democratic arena.
UDP believed democracy is the free expression of
opinion..democracy is a collection of values-respect
for the opinion of others,torerance and dialogue.Women
participation by expounding and developing these
values,begining within the family and passing through
the nation,to apply them in a general manner to the
social world.

 UDP is committed to the principle six of the
declaration of democracy which states that"democracy
is inseparable from the rights set forth in the
international instruments"these include the universal
declaration of human rights,the international
convenant of civil and political rights,and the
convention on the elimination of all forms of
discrimination against women.
 Jobe it is easier for you to say what is not going on
here on the L than facing the
reality.Notwithstanding,to your postings to the
contrary,there is no evidence that UDP is what you and
Yahya feel it is.For that matter,most of your postings
are politically incorrect.
Saihou

=== message truncated ===