GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Jeng, Beran" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 22:22:06 -0400
Women Farmers Sandwich Independent Reporter
The Independent <http://www.qanet.gm/Independent/independent.html>  (Banjul)
May 22, 2000
Banjul - A group of more than 30 women farmers from Kerr Omar Manneh in the
Jokadu constituency and its environs sandwiched this reporter on May 9th to
complain about the 'increasing hardship' they continued to face on a daily
basis.
Realising the presence of a journalist among the National Reconciliation Party
delegation on a tour of the area, the women, looking exhausted, blamed the
government for doing nothing to alleviate their plight.
With young babies strapped on their backs they narrated how they suffered to
rally support for President Jammeh during the past election only to be given
promises which not only remained unfulfilled, but has since increased the rate
of their suffering. 'My son just fancy how hard it is to be married to the
pestle, attend to the kids and our husbands who could not make ends meet because
the trade season has turned out to be a disaster,' one of the women snapped.
Two other women, who said they lost their children due to a shortage of drugs
and beds at the Kuntair health centre, added: 'Our children could not be
allocated beds and as a result they died on the floor.'
By this time, the attention of this reporter was drawn to an old lady who
alleged that the ambulance at Kuntair health centre has been transformed into a
taxi because instead of offering free services, they are forced to pay D70
anytime they wanted to rush their sick to the health centre. 'My daughter was
set to give birth but since we couldn't pay this amount, she was kept suffering
until a good man hired a taxi that finally took her to the health centre where
she delivered immediately upon arrival,' she said.
With the number of women complainants swelling, the topic shifted from personal
to national issues. The women said they hated to talk about this year's
disastrous trade season. They also questioned what type of a government do we
have, when peaceful demonstrating students could be killed in broad daylight in
the streets of Serrekunda and elsewhere. 'Our confidence in this government has
being eroded by the April 10th -11th incidents. We are resolved to see that
Hamat Bah becomes the next president come the presidential election in 2001,'
they posited.
The women also attacked vice president Isatou Njie Saidy. 'Can you imagine her
saying that the dead students had no one to blame but themselves?' they asked.
'Journalists are rarely seen in our area and once we do, we are bound to
register all our grievances to them for onward transmission,' they said.

Copyright (c) 2000 The Independent. Distributed via Africa News Online
(www.africanews.org). For information about the content or for permission to
redistribute, publish or use for broadcast, contact the publisher.