GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 13:41:15 EST
<< From: Nausheen Hasan <[log in to unmask]>

 Hi everyone. I need everyone to watch 20/20 this Monday night.  My family
 has helped to bring girls from Bangladesh who have had sulfuric acid
 thrown on their faces.  It is usually done by the man who the girl refused
 in marriage, and "got back" at her for turning him down.  As a result,
 their faces have melted and their lives have been shattered.

 My family and I have been working hard to bring these girls to America for
 facial reconstructive surgery.  Thus far only 2 girls have come, but with
 the help of the Heal the Children Organization and Shriners Children's
 Hospital, we will be able to bring another 25 girls over the next few
 years.

 Connie Chung heard about this horrible thing happening in Bangladesh (in
 addition to many other countries around the world! ugh!!) and decided to
 do a segment on 20/20 on this issue.  Connie Chung and the crew flew to
 Bangladesh and interviewed the Prime Minister and many of the victims of
 the acid burns.  THey then followed the girls on their trip to America and
 their stay thus far.  They interviewed my father as well, Dr. Safiul
 Hasan, who has been the link for these girls in America. (You can look out
 for me too, I might be walking around in the background when they get off
 of the plane!)

 So please watch 20/20 this Monday, November 1 at 8pm, on ABC.
 and check out our website: www.projectbangladesh.org

 Please feel free to email me if you have any questions or would like to
 help.

 Thank you!