GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
fatou camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 01:04:30 -0500
Ousman: You wrote;

>Being the broadcast journalist you claim to be I was wondering why you
>didn't do your home on an important issue like who decree89 actually
>restricts from taking part in Gambian politics.Pdois is never  restraint by
>this decree.Maybe your colleagues in the journalism industry who don't jump
>ship will be able to enlighten you on this issue.
>I rest my case.I am not going over this issue with you again.
>ousman

I did not want to come this far with you regarding such a trivial issue.
Hence, you want to take pride in putting me in my place, i'll enlighten you
on the decrees and finally the 1997 constitution. Firstly, decree 4 was the
decree that banned all political parties and all political activities. If
your math would permit you, you will come to realise that 4 comes before 89.
Decree 4 having banned political activities supposedly trapped PDOIS and its
publication of FOROYAA. It was this decree that Halifa Sallah and Sidia
Jatta challenged, by personally selling issues of FOROYAA at the then
McCarthy Square, which eventually led to their arrest and the ensuing legal
battle to have-been. As a result of this incident FOROYAA publications
continued to this day. My thing is: Why didn't the other politicians
challenge the decree and take a stance? But no! they stayed mute, despite
public support and trust they carry on their shoulders. I can vividly
remember people saying: the arrest was gonna spell the doom of PDOIS. Well,
did it?

Secondly, sir, decree 89 was promulgated much later. After the submission of
the report of the NCC ( National Consultative Committee), and the decision
having been reached by AFPRC to finally participate, after all, in the 1996
elections. Decree 89 emerged to give strenght to the already established
decree 4. This time round, having realised PDOIS's " Political Maturity" it
concentrated its efforts towards politicians of the first republic who
actually served under the PPP Government. You see, these two decrees are
born of the same parents. Therefore, my saying that PDOIS is a mature
political party, i will stand-by.

Most of these decrees made their way into the 1997 constitution and if you
have been following the news, you would have read about the Government white
paper. This paper intends to further cripple the politicians of the first
republic. This is how it works: When the decrees are done with, the gov't
white paper will serve , yet, as another huddle to cross. The circle goes
round and round. It is a chain reaction, one leading to another.

Thirdly and finally, THERE WAS NO POLITICAL PARTY AND OR POLITICIAN who (
Sah-hatted)coughed during this period! Not even one! with the exception of
Waa and the occassional sneaking of OJ to the press. If the fact be told,
you, yourself have been among people who benefitted from PDOIS teaching and
helped you build that climate of political awareness which never before
existed in you. Right or Wrong?

Say whatever you want. PDOIS played its part in Gambian politics, the ball
is in your court, play yours!

NB: I'm using my wife's e-mail add.
Goodnite.
Harona.