GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 11:47:18 -0400
Thank you very much, my brother. It is the height of ignorance, arrogance
and naivete to think that UDP leaders like Darboe and the candidates in
Kiang and Baddibu talked about nothing but irrelevant issues. These people
had numerous rallies in those constituencies; canvassed various compounds;
had supporters in Kiang bringing to them 3000 voters' cards; ran Yankuba
Touray and his cohorts out of Baddibu. Yet, doubters want to close their
eyes to all these signs and blame the party for running a lousy campaign,
hence the election debacle.

Need I point out to people AGAIN that the party won in Baddibu? How did the
'message' work in Baddibu and not in Kiang? Since the 'message' was the
problem, was a different party (other than UDP) campaigning in Kiang for
UDP? Or did UDP put out a 'message' in Baddibu but forget to put one out in
Kiang? This is ridiculous especially coming from people that were not on the
campaign trail and did not know what issues were actually discussed and
which were left out.

Saul, you see, what these people don't want to hear is exposes like the one
you gave us on Mahawa Cham and admissions from despicable characters like
Baba Jobe that they were involved in vote-buying. They also do not want us
to talk about the divisive campaign Buba Baldeh was engaged in by pitting
the Fullas of Kiang against the Mandinkas. This is what they do not want to
hear. They will try every thing to divert attention to UDP and blame the
party leadership. But just as you demonstrated by parading the credentials
of the respective candidates, these APRC supporters and doubters in our
midst, do not have the facts to support their lies and bogus accusations.
Maybe you will be luckier than I am in getting a coherent answer as to why
Kiang people will support child murderers and vote for a semi-illiterate
whose party would not even ensure that the groundnuts of our farmers are
bought at competitive rates.

Thanks again for your contributions.
KB