GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 09:06:06 -0700
Mr. Colly,

Thanks again for another insightful narrative. It's
obvious that Yaya Jammeh has stolen the show from the
real leaders of the coup. Indeed his entire
"Janbarr-ya" presentation is another lie that is
concocted by him and his acolytes to mystify the
Presidency, and intimidate his critics into
submission. But, as is now obvious, our emperor has no
clothes on! He doesn't know what he's up against. In
the final analysis, he'll learn to his chagrin that
the pen is indeed mightier than the sword. We'll see.

On the fellow with the "Jammeh spin" on Ndow Njie,
don't be fooled by my use of "friend" to describe him.
I was simply being sarcastic. Fact is, I don't know
much about the guy. I've seen him around a few times
over the years. I was discussing some Computer stuff
with someone else, when he jumped in Gambian style
-with all the Radio Kang Kang baggage. His take on the
function of a PC Motherboard, and SCSI Drives couldn't
be more off the mark. He quickly added "from what I
heard." When we threw that in the dust bin, the
conversation veered to politics, and Gambia-L (Halifa
Sallah had just come within our view, and was at that
point some meters away talking to some people.)

I had a feeling that this fellow knew who I am, but
was pretending all along, because he started by saying
that "we should be careful about what we read on G-L.
Some people have an agenda. Yeah, I read all they
write, but I know many of those people Father. I don't
care who is President, but some of these guys have it
out for Yaya Jammeh because of their personal
problems. What they say is sometimes not true at
all..." Despite my subtle attempt to stop the other
guy from allerting him (if there's any need for that,)
the man told him that "this is Saul Khan, one of Yaya
Jammeh's major critics on G-L." He did a fake (my
opinion) double-take, and expressed "surprise" that I
am who I am. That he's met me before, but never
knew...
I was turned off by his phoney demeanor, so I wasn't
inclined to spend much time listening to him, but I
couldn't resist asking about who he thought had a
personal agenda against Yaya Jammeh on G-L. That was
when he started talking about Ebou Colley, and how
people like myself unwittingly help in furthering a
Banjul Agenda. (He kept assuring me that he "agrees
with me 90% of the time, but...) Very nutty fellow, if
you ask me. And YES, you're right about the guy's
insinuation. I had NO doubt that "Banjul" is
synonymous with Wollof to this fellow, because his
entire "case" against Ndow was laden with denigrating
stuff about Banjulians, and how they controlled
Jawara's govt. I just pointed out a few anomalies with
his position, and moved on. He doesn't strike me as
someone you can have an intelligent conversation with.
Very sad, but what do you do?

Good morning.
Saul.