GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 18:55:51 -0000
Mr. Sallah,

I totally concur with your position on this serious issue of the Executive
tampering with Constitutionally-installed Checks like the IEC. On the delay
in the Supreme Court settling this issue, isn't there a provision in our
laws that could be used to expedite such cases? If no, why not? And if yes,
why isn't that utilized in this case?

I ask this questions with the US system in mind. Though the US Supreme Court
is NOT obligated to take ANY case (they voluntarily issue a "writ of
certiorari" to pick cases THEY WANT to hear,) and despite the considerable
volume of applications they get, when matters of public interest pertaining
to the Constitutionally of an action(s) by a public official are brought
before it, such cases are expedited for public interest. The Florida Recount
dispute in the last US elections was such a case. So, I wonder why the
Gambia Supreme Court is sitting on this case all this time. What exactly is
it that they're waiting for? Any enlightenment there?

Saul.

We have followed the debates on the L regarding elections. PDOIS's position
is that there can be no sovereign people without the exercise of their right
to be architects of their own destiny. Representatives are mere emissaries
of the people. Elections are instruments through which the people assert
their authority to determine their manner of government.
In our view a sovereign people can only take charge of their destiny if they