GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebou colly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2000 14:24:16 -0700
                                  GAMBIA ACQUIRES LOTS
OF ARMS FROM
                                    LIBYA  WADA SPOKE
CORRECTLY

The latest controversy over the Cassamance and the
weapons- from-Libya issue, another political
back-blasts against Yaya’s deceptive diplomatic
activities came to me not as a surprise at all.
Looking at it objectively, Ex-President Abdou Joof
might have by now ended up accusing Yaya of the very
things President Wada is attacking the Gambia
government of wrongly doing behind their back.
President Joof who seemed to have been playing for
time in order to wait for the outcome of the last
presidential election he lost was in the end fully
aware that Yaya’s mediation efforts in the Cassamance
problem was all deception. Anyhow it was also possible
that President Joof was certain of his political
downfall; hence he finally decided to wait and later
pass the burden of the Cassamance problem to his
successor, a crisis the former president later found,
wrongly or rightly, associated with his personal
political ineptitude.

Yet I can bet my soul that President Joof in his final
days was fully aware of the deceptive position of the
Gambia Government on the Cassamance crisis that is now
over a decade and half old. In early 1999 for
instance, when Yaya just started his Cassamance
diplomatic initiative, the Libyan government delivered
multiple-“Katusha”- rockets to the State House which
the whole diplomatic community in the Gambia including
the Senegalese Ambassador in The Gambia were aware of
at the time. These weapons were never taken to the
GNA, yet they were known for their destructive
ballistic capability of hitting 25-kilometer range and
can simultaneously fire 120 rounds when mounted on the
three vehicles they were supplied with. I have the
inventory information to these weapons and more deadly
ones supplied to Yaya by the Libyan government, which
were discreetly collected from Yundum International
Airport at the nights, they were delivered. These
weapons were directly transported to the State House
and later transferred to Kaninlai for reasons known to
Yaya alone. The GNA had nothing to do with them, and
whether they are still in the Gambia at all is another
food for thought. If they are still in the Gambia
however nobody should be worried about any threat they
may pose. Yaya does not understand the dynamics of
such weapons, technically or tactically. The day he
attempts to employ them in a combat field will be the
day he spells him final doom.

 Or should I give the armored-carriers inventory and
their weaponry supplied to the Gambia by Libya two
years ago? So what is Dr. Sidat protesting about in
President Wada’s correct statement that The Gambia
government was acquiring weapons from Libya?  But
perhaps, Dr.Sidat Jobe may never have had any
knowledge of these weapons, because being the
intellectual whore he is to Jammeh, his master hardly
gave him the correct picture of what he is up to,
especially those hidden devious activities he always
has under his nasty sleeves. However, if Dr.Jobe is
honest to himself, a rear quality among those who have
surrendered their souls to this despot, he should be
cautiously conducting his errands knowing that Yaya is
not at all a neutralists in the Cassamance conflict.
That is why on the numerous times the Gambia
government had gathered the MFDC and the Senegalese
government representatives for peace talks at Atlantic
Hotel Banjul, not for once did Yaya attend or make his
position known to the public on the irreconcilable
disagreement of the two parties. Understandably, the
rebels have been calling for total independence and
nothing less, while the Senegalese government, has
made it crystal clear that independence for the
province was out of all discussable agenda. Now, if
Yaya came up with the peace proposal, how come since
that time no body knows where he stands on these two
antagonistic positions? And if he is the neutralist he
is claiming to be in the crisis, what are his special
ideas acceptable by both parties for a long term
solution to the problem?  Take it from me, the moron
has none. No wonder, almost every time a meeting was
held at the Atlantic Hotel, the rebels would in the
next day launch a cross-border raid from Bissau into
Cassamance. Did any one ever stop to ask why things
should happen that way? The answer is simple. Yaya
privately speaks with double tongue on this Cassamance
issue. When privately talking to former President Joof
about his position, Yaya would give the impression
that he was against the rebel’s demand for
independence, the very contrary position he would
privately impress to the rebels. Therefore coming out
publicly to say whose position he supports would
expose him to either the rebels or the Senegalese
government.

Anyway, Yaya’s commitment for the Cassamance rebels to
have independence is an open secret to those of us who
were very close to him; and Dr. Sidat Jobe is no
exception among those inner core close associates.
Yaya would always, with mad obsession  insult and
swear against Senegal for disallowing Cassamance to
have its independence although he would still be
shameless to call Abdou Joof telling him sweet words
about how he disagreed with the rebels’ demand for
independence.

Another secret I must reveal to show Yaya’s deceptive
position on the Cassamance conflict is the fact that
he has been encouraged and fully approved the
treatment of wounded rebels at the RVH in Banjul. We
had challenged him on the dangerous ramifications of
the practice in the wake of his mediation efforts but
he has always defiantly stated that the rebels had the
right to be given all treatment in his country.
Statistics of rebels being treated with gun shot
wounds at the RVH are available at the hospital’s
records office. There is no doubt that the Senegalese
intelligence was tracking all these Jammeh activities.
Most likely, that may have contributed to Yaya’s
construction of a more accessible hospital at Bwiam.
But funny-talking Dr. Jobe might miss all these
things. Now I am telling him with my eyes and ears all
opened to monitor his activities. I have more to tell
if he so needs it.

Abdou Joof might have been too much a spent force to
mind the fool’s actions but Abdoulie Wada who is just
fresh on the treacherous arena would not unnecessarily
“Maslaha” to the detriment of a state he is honestly
inclined to build for the Senegalise people. So let
Dr. Sidat Jobe shut up if he cannot tell the truth.

Ebou Colly