GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 21:21:12 EDT
Katim,
           I would also like to thank you for putting together a good set of
ideas. It reflects creativity and pragmatism. Our nation and people are in a
terrible jam and deserving of whatever solutions we the citizens can muster.
However I concur with Mr Dampha's view that the concessions required in the
overall deal you propose would pose a perpetual hindrance to a stable and
peaceful democracy we all envision for our country. If we are ever to
maintain any semblance of a viable community, we cannot abrogate our
responsibility to our fellow citizens by foreclosing judicial redress for
serious grievances like murder, torture and other denials of basic human
rights. I agree that staking out uncompromising positions might portend even
more danger for our beleaguered people in that Yahya might intensify his
degree of ruthlessness but I would rather fight that uncertain battle than
propose to those whose loved ones were killed by this President that they
would have to live with the now well compensated man who snuffed the life out
their relative. What victims want beyond anythingelse is closure and it is my
believe your proposal would deny them that. I think Yahya Jammeh and his
cronies ought to be defeated if we are to devise a framework for change that
is viable and would serve the best interest of the nation. He is entitled to
only our collective wrath coupled with swift and sure justice.
       It is my hope that as this wonderful document evolves we might succeed
in expunging from the final draft any language that forecloses judicial
remedies for the wrong this administration has committed. I would also
suggest you add a qualifier to the sentence that refers to the 1996 election.
You did not mention that the election was widely described as not being free
or fair by both the domestic electorate and the international community.

Thanks
Karamba