GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2007 21:58:29 EDT
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue  No.84/2007, 20-22 July, 2007
Editorial
THE APRC GOVERNMENT NO MORE POPULAR
THE OPPOSITION NOT YET POPULAR
THE GRAND DEBATE
The high voter apathy  in both the Presidential and National Assembly
elections has left the country  without an undiluted choice of the people. Neither
the ruling party nor the  opposition could claim majority popular support.
What then is the future of  Gambian politics and the Gambian opposition?
The future of Gambian politics  lies in the hands of the people. They must
bear in mind that they will get the  type of leaders they vote for or failed to
vote for because of their apathy. In  short, even the person who refuses to
vote is actually voting by default. In a  word, the failure to vote by some
people can make a person to win or lose an  election who, otherwise, may not have
won or lost.
Hence, if the destiny of  this country is to reside in the hands of Gambian
people each sovereign Gambian  must be independent in thinking and active in
making decisions that affect their  very lives. This is the first commitment
that all Gambians need to make, that  is, No to voter apathy!!
Secondly, some claim that there is political apathy  because the opposition
parties are not united. Others claim that the leaders are  not making headway
and should give way.
A Grand National debate should  therefore begin on the future of the
opposition in The Gambia. Can they be  united? If not can the people choose one among
them and give it their undivided  support? If there is no such opposition
leader and party, could the people ask  the existing leaders to give up their
aspirations for political leadership and  leave the room for a more credible
alternative?
What is your opinion? Have a  say. Support a credible person or political
force in the opposition!! If you  don’t see one help create one!! Apathy is not
an option. The July 22 celebration  is an indictment on the Gambian people. It
shows that when a people failed in  their responsibility in changing leaders
others may claim to be their saviors.  However we all know that an individual
has no power to save society. Democracy  means the assertion of the power of
the people to save themselves. The  celebration of July 22 should therefore
remind us how little the APRC regime has  done in empowering the people and how
much we need to redouble our efforts to  empower ourselves as Gambian people.

TREASON TRIAL
COURT  ADMITS ALIEU JOBE’S STATEMENTS
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
Justice Avril Anin  Yeboah of the Banjul High Court has on Wednesday, July
18, ruled that the  cautionary statements obtained from Alieu Jobe by the
investigators, who probed  into the March 2006 foiled coup d’etat, are voluntary.
Alieu Jobe, the sixth  accused person and ex-director of treasury, is facing
treason charges alongside  Tamsir Jasseh, fifth accused, Omar Faal Keita,
seventh accused, and Demba Dem,  the eight accused, for their alleged role in the
attempt to overthrow the  government of The Gambia in March 21, 2006.
The ruling on Mr. Jobe’s  cautionary statement came in the wake of a trial
within a trial (voir dire)  which sought to test the voluntariness of the
statement obtained from the  accused during the investigation.
The court went for the voir dire following  the defence counsel’s objection
to the tendering of the statements as evidence  by the prosecutor. Defence
lawyer Borry Touray argued that the statements are  involuntary and applied for a
voir dire.
Justice Yeboah said she is satisfied  that the prosecution has proved its
case beyond all reasonable doubt. She then  admitted the statement in evidence.
Testimony
Continuing his testimony in  the main trial which was halted by the voir
dire, Sergeant Boto Keita, a  detective attached to the serious crime unit of The
Gambia police Force, said  Alieu Jobe did inform the investigating panel that
Tamsir Jasseh escorted the  former Chief of Defence Staff (the alleged ring
leader) to Kubuneh.
According  to Sergeant Keita, this led to the arrest of Mr. Jasseh, adding
that Mr. Jobe  told the panel that he met Omar Faal in his residence at Kerr
Serign and gave  him the names of the officers who were arrested so that they
will be released,  and for those who were yet to be arrested, not to be arrested.
Sergeant Keita  testified that Mr. Jobe also told them that he sent Demba Dem
to Sokone.
He  added that while they were investigating into the matter, they found the
passport of Omar Faal in his house.
The passport was shown to the witness and  he recognised it.

ARMY SPOKESPERSON CLARIFIES ON SERGEANT KAMBAI’S  WHEREABOUT
Reports reaching Foroyaa did indicate that one Sergeant Kambai of  The Gambia
Armed Forces was being sought after by his wife for allegedly failing  to
come home.
The Spokesperson of the Army, Lieutenant Alhagie Sanneh,  indicated that
Sergeant Kambai is with them. He said the wife of Sergeant Kambai  and other
members of his family came to his office and enquired about the  whereabouts of
their loved one. He said the wife claimed that her husband had  not returned home
since he left for work. Lt. Sanneh said he had told Kambia’s  wife that her
husband is with them. When this reporter further asked him what he  means by “
He is with us,” he said he meant Kambai is alive and he is there in  the camp.
He said a soldier could be arrested and detained in the camp as part  of their
ways of disciplining them. He went further to say that he is not aware  of
him languishing in the prison.

SUSPECT DIES IN POLICE  CUSTODY
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
Reports reaching this paper have it that  Police officers on duty at Basse
Police Station were stunned on Monday, 9 July,  by the death of an inmate who
was in their custody.
According to sources, the  deceased, Musa Bah, was arrested on Tuesday, 3
July, on suspicion of house  breaking and stealing. He was said to have been
detained for almost one week.  The Police Spokesperson, Inspector Sulayman Secka,
confirmed the death of Mr.  Bah while under Police Custody. He told this
reporter that on the night of 8  July, Mr. Bah was involved in a brawl with some
other inmates in a cell, and the  Police officers on duty took Mr. Bah to
another cell to avoid violence amongst  the inmates. Inspector Secka said on Monday 9
 July, while the officers were  opening the cells for the inmates to wash
their eyes, they found that Mr. Bah  was motionless. The Police Spokesperson
indicated that a Cuban Doctor at Basse  hospital indicated that Bah died as a
result of heart attack and that he was  suffering from hypertension. Inspector
Secka said the Police have no hand in Mr.  Bah’s death.
Mr. Bah was working at the “Canoe Crossing point at Basse”. He  is survived
by a wife and two children. He was laid to rest on Monday, 9 July in  Basse.
Editor’s Comment
Two points have to be noted. First, it is  reported that the deceased had
been detained for a week. This is in  contravention of Section 19 of the
Constitution which requires the suspect to be  arraigned before a court of law or be
released within 72 hours.
More  importantly, there is no report on a coroner’s inquest on the cause of
Musa  Bah’s death, contrary to section 6(1) of the Coroners Act which states “
When any  person dies while in custody of the police or of a prison officer
or in prison  or when detained in any place under the provisions of the Lunatics
’ Detention  Act, or of the Criminal Procedure Code, the police officer or
prison officer or  other person having the custody or charge of the deceased
person at the time of  his death shall immediately give notice of the death to
the nearest Coroner and,  expect as otherwise provided by section 11 of this
Act, such Coroner shall hold  an inquiry into the cause of such death in the
manner hereinafter provided.”
Infact it is reported that the deceased has been buried.

COURT  HEARS DAVID COLLEY’S CASE
By Abdou Jeli Keita
One Jainaba Touray, a Prison  Warden, yesterday testified in the criminal
case involving the former Director  General of Prisons, David Colley and the
state.
The second prosecution  witness testified that she was posted at the Juvenile
Wing of the Prison in  Jeshwang. She said she was later transferred to Mile
Two Prison.
She added  that she and her “Senior Man” were posted at the “Gate” of the
Prison on 22  September 2004 while they were at the “Gate”, the vehicle of the
accused “GPS1”  drove in with the driver, Corporal Sanneh, and one Mr. Jobe
on board; that the  arrival of the duo was recorded in a dairy. According to
her, the Chief officer,  Mr. Jobe told them that he was sent by the accused to
collect a new generator  donated to the tailoring workshop of the Juvenile
Wing. She said the man in  charge of the new generator (ASP Manneh) gave the
generator to Mr. Jobe (Chief  officer) and the driver (Famara Sanneh) after which
they left with it, noting  that their departure was booked.
Prosecutor Touray tendered the diary in  which the arrival of those sent by
the accused to collect the new generator was  booked. The dairy was admitted in
evidence and marked exhibit P1.
During  cross examination by the defence counsel, Sagarr Jahateh, the witness
said they  normally ask visitors to produce their ID Cards after which their
time of  arrival is recorded. She said prison wardens are normally treated
differently  when compared to other visitors; that in the case of prison wardens,
they  normally ask for the rank and name of the officer before booking
his/her time of  arrival. She went further to say that they don’t ask prison wardens
to tell them  the purpose of their visits, adding that she did not ask the
people sent by  Colley to present any authorisation nor did she call the prison
headquarters to  confirm if they were sent by the accused. She said that was
not her  responsibility.
The trial is adjourned to a later date in July for senior  defence counsel,
Antouman Gaye, to cross examine the prosecution  witness.

JOURNALISTS AND CIVIL SOCIETY REPS CALL FOR THE RELEASE OF  CHIEF MANNEH
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
Journalists, representatives of civil  society organisations and members of
the family of the missing Daily Observer  reporter, Chief Ebrima Manneh, have
called for the immediate release of the  detainee who has been missing since
July 7, 2006.
This call was made at a  symposium on Tuesday July 17, organised by the
Network of Human Rights  Journalists (NHRJ). The symposium was held at the Alliance
Franco-Gambienne  along Kairaba Avenue. The theme was: “Guarantee to the
freedom of the press in  the Gambian.”
Madi S. Njie, Chairperson of NHRJ called on the Gambia  government to
critically look into the situation and act in the case of Chief  Ebrima B. Manneh as
required by the constitution of the Gambia, and ensure that  justice prevails.
“Mr. Manneh has been missing within our own society and up  to date, we
cannot know his whereabouts,” Mr. Njie said.
Sarjo Manneh, the  father of the missing journalist, told the gathering that
he nearly got mad  following the disappearance of his son, without an
explanation from his  employer, the Daily Observer.
“I sleep for only one hour in the night.  Whenever my mind goes back to him,
my heart breaks.”
The old man also said  he had approached the managing director of the Daily
Observer, Dr. Saja Taal who  gave him “unnecessary’ excuses.
The missing reporter’s father said he has  also visited the then Director
General of the National Intelligence Agency  (NIA), Harry Sambou and the then
Inspector General of Police, Ousman Sonko (now  Secretary of State for the
Interior) who were all “unwelcoming.”
He added  that he had been to several police stations but could not see any
sign of his  son.
The mother, Sula Ceesay, said she has been living a difficult life for  the
past one year.
“I eat a quarter of what I used to eat before. I often  cry when eating,
because I do not know if my son is alive or dead, Mrs. Ceesay  decried.
Madi Ceesay, President of The Gambia Press Union (GPU) said the  country is
declared internationally as a “no press free country” by the  Committee to
Protect Journalists (CPJ) and Freedom House.
Mr. Ceesay also  said the Paris-based Reporters Sans Frontier (Reporters
Without Borders) has  also declared the Gambian press is being subjected to
difficult conditions to  operate in.
Mr. Ceesay said the arson attack on the Independent Newspaper,  Radio One,
the house of Ebrima Sillah of the BBC coupled with the killing of  Deyda Hydara,
the detentions and harassment of journalists are clear indications  that the
Gambia lacks respect for the press.
The GPU president said the  Criminal Code (Amendment) Act 2004 and the
Newspaper (Amendment) Act 2004 are  severely restricting freedom of expression and
posing danger to the practice of  journalism in the Gambia.
Cherno Jallow, a veteran journalist said the  constitution guarantees the
rights of journalists as watchdogs of society.
Mr. Jallow said the press which is the fourth estate has the role to look
into the activities of the executive, the legislature and the judiciary, and
therefore has the constitutional right to inform the tax payers on the
activities of the government.
Amie Sillah, a newspaper columnist and gender  activist, said the government
needs to immediately release the reporter or  follow the due process of the
law.
Demba Jawo, an editor with Agence Press  Africaine in Dakar in a paper read
on his behalf, urged media practitioners and  workers in the country to rally
behind the GPU in order to give it more power to  defend the rights of
journalists.
“This is also a wake up call for us  (journalists) as it has been clearly
shown that none of us is secure, no matter  which media house we work for.
Unfortunately however, some of our colleagues had  this false sense of security just
because they were working for certain media  houses that have been favoured
by the regime,” said Mr. Jawo.
Sam Sarr,  Editor of Foroyaa Newspaper said the detention of Mr. Manneh is an
attack on the  freedom of expression  and the personal liberty of the
reporter which has  violated the constitution and other international laws which the
government  had  sworn to defend, protect and preserve. He continued that the
issue  does not only concern journalists but all citizens in The Gambia.
Ousman  Yarbo, Director of the Association of the Non-Governmental
Organisations said  civil society, the media and the private sector need to call for a
national  conference to look into these issues that affect the dissemination of
 information.
Sheikh Lewis, Amnesty International said such an ordeal should  not happen to
Mr. Manneh, adding that people need to stop digging holes for one  another.
He called on media practitioners to build “greater solidarity,”  stating
that most of the “big men” in the Gambian media have failed to attend  one of
the most “crucial issues” which they can be victims of  “tomorrow.”
Nicolas Nzaki of the African Women in the Diaspora, (AWODO) said  the
recommendation of the gathering needs to be forwarded to the authorities for  urgent
action.
Swaebou Conateh, publisher and editor of the weekly News and  Report
Magazine, said press freedom is an important point in the Gambian  constitution, and
everybody is guaranteed security and liberty by the Gambian  constitution.
Mr. Conateh said no government or authority has the right to  interfere with
the basic rights of people and in the absence of these rights,  nobody is a
full citizen.
“We should not allow ourselves to be enslaved by  our leaders who we put into
office. They should be our servants and we have to  help them do what we
want. Let us not allow them to control us to the extent  that we become cowards,”
Mr. Conateh expressed.
Omar Jallow (alias OJ), a  politician called on the government to respect the
freedom of the press and  peoples’ fundamental human rights.
Mr. Jallow said the Gambian people need  to do away with the culture of
one-selfness, adding that one’s problem need to  be another’s problem rather than
saying, “it is not my problem or  concern.”
He called on the people to give solidarity to one another and stand  against
injustice, which he opined will only ruin the society.
A committee  was selected at the end of the symposium to pursue the release
of Chief Manneh  and look into issues affecting dissemination of  information.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
HEART BREAKER’S  NEMESIS

With Amie Sillah
Part 3
At The Prayer House
Jainaba slept at the Prayer House on Tuesday night. Baaba prayed throughout
the night and slept with Jainaba. On Wednesday he continued to pray throughout
 with Famara’s picture at hand. Some of his Talibes (followers) were with him
 praying for Jainaba to have Famara as a husband. Lolly came to collect
Famara to  show him the Prayer House. She came in Famara’s jeep up to a junction
and  pointed to the house. “Look at that T junction, curve right and enter the
first  red gate. That is the Prayer House. Good luck!” She dropped to go. “No!
No! Lets  go together. I want us to catch Jainaba red handed.” “No! No! No!
I can’t! I  don’t want Jainaba’s trouble. She will cast me an evil spell.
Remember she is my  friend and confidante. I am not suppose to tell you this. I
did so because you  are a kind person. You love Jainaba. You have done
everything for her. Why  should she wish you evil. I don’t care my girl friend. I’ll
expose her if she is  evil. You are a good man. Don’t mention my name at all.”
 Lolly advised. “Okay!  You are right. Thank you all the same. I’ll go
alone. If this is true I’ll roast  Jainaba alive.” “Go! Seeing is believing. Good
bye.” Famara gave her return fare  and she left.
Caught Red Handed
Jainaba was busy with the Talibes praying  with Baaba. Famara’s picture was
place in the middle surrounded by ten lighted  candles. Famara tiptoed and
caught them red handed. “What! Oh my God! Jainaba  what are you doing with my
picture? So it is true? What have I done to deserve  this sort of treatment from
you?” Jainaba was startled. She was lost of words.  “Fams! What are you doing
here?” “Oh! I should ask you that. What are you doing  here with my picture
lighted all over?” Jainaba begged for understanding. “It is  not what you
think Fams! It is not what you think!” “What should I think now?  Tell me!” Baaba
intervened. “It is okay! She is praying for your success. She  meant no harm.”
 “Shut up! You beast! Don’t speak until I ask you to!” He went  and snatched
his picture from the floor. Jainaba tried to hold his trousers. He  nearly
stamped her. “Don’t touch me swine! You are finished! I have nothing to  do
with you again! You are evil! Jainaba you are evil! Allah will punish you!
Seeing is believing! I was dealing with Jezebel!” Fams left in a rage. Jainaba
followed suit. “Come back! The prayers are not completed.” Baaba said. “Go to
hell and rot there! What am I praying for? My man have left me for good. Leave
me alone! Leave me alone!” Jainaba followed Fams. Baaba’s Talibes followed
after. Baaba was left alone.
Jainaba In Limbo
Jainaba was in limbo. She  mourned her loss. She could not understand how
Famara came to the Prayer House  and caught her red handed. It was a jig saw
puzzle, which she could not answer  at the moment. The serpent was around trying
to confuse her all the more. “If a  man said he does not love you again should
you kill yourself? Forget about him.  You are young and beautiful you’ll have
another man”. Lolly advised “I don’t  want another man. It is Fams I want.
Famara is my life. But! I cannot still  understand how Famara came to the Prayer
House with precision, telepathy. It is  indeed a strange coincidence.” Lolly
is smart. She gave an apt answer. “You know  these guys when they become fed
up they cook stories. He might have followed  your trail. That’s what they do
if they are fed up with a babe. Cheer up! Take  heart! Famara is not the only
guy in the whole country. You’ll get a better  guy.” She counselled. “I don’t
want a better guy. I want my Fams back.” Lolly  gave some biscuits to
Jainaba. “Eat, drink forget about Famara. He has left  you.” “Thank you! I’ve lost
my appetite.” Put in Jainaba. She is devastated and  brooding. “Famara
treated me like a lady. Who is tearing us apart? And now the  rumour in town is that
I wanted to use him for money ritual. Me Jainaba! Use  Famara for money
ritual? I am finished! I am finished! When shall I ever recover  from this shame
and anguish?” Jainaba sobbed bitterly. “I’ll go for an  explanation. I’ll not
leave him go scott-free. It is not fair! It is not fair!”  Lolly tried to
discourage her. “Don’t disgrace yourself! Don’t go! Forget about  him! Open a new
page in your life. You are young and beautiful. Mr. Right will  surely come.”
“No! I don’t care about any Mr. Right. Famara is my strength. He  has to
answer my questions. And he have to answer them satisfactorily!” Jainaba
emphasized.
Lolly And Famara
Lolly visited Famara at his office. She came  and announced herself. Famara
was amused and excited. “Who do I have here? The  lady who saved my life. You
are lost. Where have you been? I’ve searched you  everywhere. I don’t know
where you work. I don’t know your house and I don’t  want to visit you at Jainaba
’s home. I don’t want to set my eyes on her again.  She is a wicked witch.”
He offered her a seat. She sat. Famara proposed a date.  “I have to thank you
for saving my life. You are a great lady. I am impressed.”  Fams insulted and
cursed Jainaba. “I regretted befriending that wicked witch. I  invite you to a
dinner.” Lolly acted the good babe. “No! save your money. Say,  I’ll come to
your home and prepare you a delicious dish. I want you to taste my  culinary
skills.” Famara gave her D5000 (five thousand dalasis). She querried.  “This
is too much. I’ll cook you chicken yassa.” “D1, 000 is okay for what I  want
to cook.” Lolly returned the D4000 back to Fams. She left. “Let me visit  the
market to buy some food stuff. You’ll meet me at home.” she winked at Fams.
He was overwhelmed. “No! Where is she from? A babe returning cash? Unheard
of! I  am impressed. And she is sexy and attractive. I think I am going to dig
this  babe!” He soliloqued and gleed. “This time around I’ve caught a bigger
shark!”  He said aloud and laughed. “All that glitters is not gold” says the
old  adage.

NYAKOI BUNDUNG NURSERY SCHOOL HOLDS OPEN AND CERTRIFICATE  AWARD CEREMONY FOR
2007 BATCH
By Joseph Sirjo Sonko
Nyakoi Nursery School,  yesterday 14th of June 2007, held their Open and
Award giving ceremony at its  school ground in Bundung. Speaking before a
multitude of people, the head  Mistress, Mrs. Aunty Amie Sillah, underscored the
importance of education and  the role parents can play to help their children to
higher heights. She said  looking at the performance of each of the nursery
pupils, there is no doubt they  have made up their minds to be good ambassadors in
society. She said every child  did extremely well but that you can see those
that are being helped at home by  parents who came out even more outstanding
than those neglected. She urged  parents to also provide support for their
children noting that not only during  school days should they be given tutoring
but on every step of the way.  Children, she said, need all we got to make them
what they aspire to be in  future.
Nyakoi she said started in 1987 with an input of seventeen children  out of
whom she said ten were boys and seven were girls. Most of these children  today
are in big institutions working very hard as Doctors, Nurses, Engineers,  and
Teachers, and some are in universities. “It delights me all the more when I
travel and bump into someone who will exclaim I was a student of Nyakoi.”
These  people are now big men and women doing extremely well. So what all these
young  ones also want from us is our support in every way. “She commended the
parents  for coming out in their large numbers to witness their children’s
performance.  She appealed to parents, to also support the school and do everything
in their  power to be paying their children’s school fees on time. She
lamented the delay  in paying school fees which places obstacles that are often not
easy for the  school to overcome.
The deputy Head Teacher, Mr. Abdou Jobe, said, “we not  only teach the
children Mathematics, Science, Arts, Social Studies, and English  etc. but also
moral and ethical behaviors as well.” He said Nyakoi has done  everything it could
for these young ones now it is left to their parents. He  especially appealed
to the parents of the two hundred and eighty seven students  graduating to
help their children in their new field of endeavour.
Some of  the parents who spoke on the occasion expressed delight in what they
saw. Noting  that if children at such tender age can express themselves using
the English  language with such ease and without mistakes and knowing so much
about the world  as well as topics on science and its relation to the human
body and health, then  what are they waiting for in heeding the head Mistress’s
called for action. All  those parents who spoke did express hope that the
efforts will one day yield  fruit that will see the building of a Nyakoi Primary
School.
The children  who came out in different batches were presented with different
questions on  different topics which they answered to the delight and
astonishment of every  one in the crowd. The ceremony was graced by both parents and
teachers taking  photos of each other and the singing and playing of cultural
instruments by the  nursery children. There was great attendance from both
parents and people from  different neighborhoods around  Bundung.

SENIOR METREOLOGIST HARPS ON THE  RAINY SEASON
By Isatou Bittaye
A Senior Metreologist at the Metreological  Unit at the Airport, Lamin Mai
Touray, has indicated that the weather forecast  for this year is very good. He
said it indicated that it will be wet this year.  Mr. Touray said the late
start of the rainy season is only experienced at the  coastline, noting that the
hinterland of the country had experienced rainfall  since June. He noted that
the reason for the late start of the rainy season is  that the surface of the
sea temperature along the Senegambia coastline was cold,  and that of the Gulf
of Guinea was warm. He said such a situation does not allow  the
precipitation of moisture beyond latitude 10 ºN.
Mr. Touray added  that the movement of the monsoon through Northwards over
the Western Sector was  delayed and that this was due to the weak nature of the
African easterly jets.  He further indicated that the African easterly jets
have now intensified and had  regained its strength, and the expected amount of
rainfall this season is  between 650mm to more than 760mm.
Mr. Touray said the probability of the  rainy season extending beyond October
this year is very low, but that heavy  rainfall leading to flooding in some
places is expected. He said that a  parameter called thermal index is measured
at 10km above meansea level which is  used to determine whether a said region
would experience flood or drought and it  has a threshold value that
determines whether there will be flooding or not and  that all indicators, as at now,
is that flooding may occur at some  places.

DOCK WORKERS CALL ON PRESIDENT JAMMEH TO INTERVENE
By  Yaya Dampha
Since The Gambia Ports Authority (GPA) wrote to the Dock and  Maritime
Workers indicating that their services will be terminated by July 31,  2007, the
dock workers became restive.
This development had led the dock  workers to agree within their ranks to
call for a strike action, which forced  the security heads to call all the
stakeholders to a meeting at the Department  of State for the Interior. The security
heads, the GPA management and the  representatives of dock workers agreed on
a collective bargaining approach. GPA  was asked to cancel their attempts to
terminate the services of the dock workers  because they are not their
employees in the first place. On the other hand, the  Dock and Maritime Workers were
also asked to call off their planned strike  action.
However, at a recent press conference held by the union at their  office on
Monday, 16 July, the Secretary General Mr. Landing Sanyang, told  reporters
that they hade been abiding by the agreement brokered by the security  heads
between their union and the GPA management because of their respect for  the rule
of law, but had doubted that of the management of the GPA. Mr. Sanyang
claimed that it has come to the notice of his office that a staff of GPA, is
calling dock workers one at a time into his office, asking them to sign a  document
which states that any dock worker who accepts to be terminated will be  paid
one hundred thousand dalasi as a severance package. He said this move by  GPA
is in direct conflict with their agreement with the security heads which is  “
No Termination, No Strike action”. He questioned why the management of The
Gambia Ports Authority is still adamant and reneging on the agreement.
Sanyang called on President Jammeh to intervene in time.
Mr. Yusupha  Ndow, a dock worker, said they are an independent body and
cannot be controlled  by the GPA.
Mr. Abdoulie Faal, the organising Secretary of the dock workers  union urged
the Secretaries of State for Industry and Works to participate in  the process
to resolve the matter by attending their meetings.
Alhagie Kebba  Gassama also reiterated the call for the president to
intervene. The union  recommended the idea of collective bargaining rather than “
illegal  terminations”.

WITNESSES TESTIFY IN OMAR NDOW’S CASE
By  Abdou Jeli Keita
Mr. Ousman Jallow, a Compliance Manager at the Gambia Public  Procurement
Authority (GPPA), and Mr. Abdoulie Bah, an accountant at GAMCEL,  testified in
the criminal trial involving the state and Omar Ndow, a former  Managing
Director at GAMTEL.
Ousman Jallow testified that, as compliance  manager at GPPA, he has
something to do with GAMTEL, a former employer of the  accused (Omar Ndow). He said he
had something to do with the accused.
He  added that he reviewed a validation report directed to the intelligent
network  to be approved for GAMTEL to open a negotiation with HUA WEI, a Chinese
company.  He said GAMTEL submitted to the (GPPA) minutes of their negotiation
with HUA WEI  Company but after going over it, he observed that something was
incorporated in  the original procurement amounting to US $198,000. “I sent
them (GAMTEL) a  letter requesting for an itemized break down of the said
amount,” he said. He  produced a copy of the letter to the court.
At this juncture, ASP Bojang  (prosecutor) tendered a copy of the letter sent
to GAMTEL and it was admitted in  evidence and marked as Exhibit PB2.
Mr. Jallow went on to say that, GAMTEL  never replied to the letter he sent
them. He concluded that he was never aware  of any approval between GAMTEL and
the Gambia Public Procurement Authority  (GPPA).
Mr. Abdoulie Bah, the third prosecution witness, who is an accountant  at
GAMCEL told the court that on 17 August 2005, he was assigned to work with  the
accused. On the stated date, he said a payment for a particular supply was
brought to the internal audit unit for auditing. He said he noticed that there
was no approval from the GPPA which he said is a violation of Section 13(1) of
the GPPA Act. He said he referred the payment to his boss Omar Mbye who
headed  the Internal Audit Unit; that Mbye also sent it to the Managing Director of
 GAMTEL and indicated that there was no approval from GPPA. The witness added
 that GAMTEL wrote a letter to GAMCEL and informed them that they did receive
 approval from the GPPA. According to him, the payment was meant for a
particular  company called HUA WEI, adding that the transaction between his
department and  GAMTEL was documented. He told the court that he was not in possession
of the  document, but if he is given time, he may produce it.
At this stage of the  trial, ASP Bojang applied for an adjournment to enable
the prosecution to lay  hands on the relevant document to enable him to call
more witnesses.
The  defence counsel, Sheriff Tambedou, said “even the body language of the
prosecution witness could tell the court that he is not in possession of the
said document,” he concluded.
The trial is adjourned till a later date in  July for further hearing.

TRUST BANK MANAGER FREED OVER D1.9  MILLION THEFT
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
Augustus Sarr, former Manager of the  Trust Bank branch in Farafenni, was on
Wednesday, July 18 found not guilty by  Justice Sanji Monageng at the High
Court on the D1, 911, 425 dalasis theft case  brought against him by the state.
Mr. Sarr who was charged with theft was  accused of tampering sealed bank
notes at the Trust Bank branch in Farafenni  between August 2002 to December
2004. He pleaded not guilty to the charge at the  start of the trial two and a
half years ago.
The High Court held that the  shortages in notes discovered by the customers
of the bank was noticed after Mr.  Sarr had left as Branch Manager and
therefore he is not liable to the act  committed.
Mr. Sarr who was visibly elated, left the court room with smiles  on his face
as he hugged his relatives and sympathizers who were in a joyous  mood.
He was on a leave, receiving half of his salary but was not terminated  and
is free to resume work immediately.
He was on leave, receiving half  salary but was not terminated and is free to
resume work  immediately.

PROMOTIONS AT THE POLICE
By Fabakary B.  Ceesay
22 personnels of The Gambia Police Force were on Wednesday 18 July  promoted
to various ranks by the state. The decoration ceremony was held at the  Police
headquarters in Banjul. The ceremony was witnessed by the Inspector  General
of Police and the Chief of Defence Staff of The Gambia Armed  Forces.
In his opening remarks, the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Benedit  Jammeh,
told the decorated officers that their promotions are based on merit,
dedication, hard work and commitment and output. He said promotions are now  based
on merit and not longevity. “You are promoted because the administration  has
confidence in you. The Gambia Police Force and the entire Gambian populace
will be happy and proud of you if you do not betray that trust and confidence
they have vested on you. Your loyalty as security officers should always remain
unshakable”, said IGP. Commissioner Burama Dibba, told the officers to be
committed to the trust reposed on them by the command and that they should
commit themselves to make sure that they do not erode that trust, but they  should
instead perform better than anticipated. He said serving one’s nation is  not
a sacrifice, but an honour and a rare privilege for just a citizens.
Commissioner Dibba said it is part of their role to ensure that Police officers
respect, protect and promote human rights in their daily activities. He said  they
should fulfiull the duty reposed on them by the law.
The chief of  defence staff (CDS), Brigadier General Lang Tombong Tamba, said
such promotions  are aimed at encouraging service personnels to do their work
effectively. He  called on the Police to give 100% support to the IGP as
alone cannot do the job.  He advised the officers to see members of the community
as partners in  development, but not as enemies.

FA Cup Matches Start Today
By  Modou Nyang
The long overdue FA Cup competition will commence today with 16  teams
battling it out in the preliminary round.
At the Independence Stadium  in Bakau relegated first division side Seaview
FC will be hoping to better their  league performance against second division
strugglers, Young Africans. Whilst at  the Box Bar grounds in Brikama second
division fellows Jambanjelly FC and Nema  United will battle for a place in the
next stage. The day’s other game will be a  Serrekunda derby between
Tallinding United and Ham Ham FC to be played at the  Serrekunda East grounds.
Tomorrow on Saturday, Brikama United will test it’s  mettle against Steve
Biko, the wounded Bakau side who are bitter after making  the drop on the last
day of the league season for the first time since the clubs  inception.
Also on Saturday at the high level playing field in Basse  Watterman FC of
URR will host Jarra West in a contest between fellow regional  teams. And at
Soma Interior FC will travel all the way to meet Kiang Central,  and Serrekunda
East FC play Samger FC at the Serrekunda East grounds in another  hot duel
between two Serrekunda sides.
The eight teams that will progress  from this stage will be pitted against
the other eight 1st division sides, who  will also cancel out each other to
reach the last eight of the  competition.

Dawda Bah Changes Club Scores in UEFA Cup Debut
By  Modou Nyang
Finland based Gambian international Dawda Bah, has joined Finnish  top
division side and UEFA Cup campaigners HJK Helsinki on loan from KPV  Kokkola.
Bah’s move to the Finnish top flight league from the second tier  division is
a major boost in his professional, and his footballing fortunes may  continue
to gather steam as HJK are competing in this year’s UEFA Cup  preliminaries.
They were to host Etzella Ettelbruck of Luxemburg yesterday night  in the
first leg of UEFA Cup qualifying round.
Dawda joined KPV (Kokkolan  Palloveikot) from local side Hawks in 2005 and
has been a regular in the side  hence the call from top side HJK (Helsingin
Jalkapalloklubi) who are campaigning  to make it to the group stages of the UEFA
cup.
HJK is generally considered  Finland’s biggest club they are the only finnish
side to have competed in the  UEFA Champions League group stage. And also on
the local scene, HJK is the  country’s finest collecting the highest number of
league titles (21) and 8 Cup  titles together with 4 league cups. The club
prides as one of its top ever  player in Jari Litmanen, the Finnish captain and
former Ajax, Barcelona and  Liverpool great. Other Africans in the club are
sierra Leonean trio Mohammed  Kamara, Kabba Samora and John Keister.
Bah who have been handed the number 10  shirt was included in the team’s
starting lineup for the UEFA Cup first phase  qualifier match against Etzella
Ettelbruck at home at the Acne Stadium, and he  was being highly tipped to make
his debut for the Helsinki based  side.
shortly before going to press reports indiated that Dawda Bah’s side  HJK
have won Etzella Ettelbruck 2-0 and Dave was on the score sheet in the 24th
minute and substitute Sarso made it double in the 90th  minute.

Njogu Demba Open with Win
By Modou Nyang
Njogu Demba  and his Danish SAS Ligaen side Esbjerg opened their 2007-8
league campaign to a  winning start, defeating Brøndby by a lone goal.
Demba who featured for the  whole ninety minutes of play didn’t make the
score sheet and neither did strike  partner Raiko Lekic as widely expected among
club faithfuls, but the day’s glory  fell deeper on the team’s lineup to
Jesper Jørgensenn on the 76th minute from  the penalty spot. Njogu was cautioned in
the 78th minute of the game.
Esbjerg fB got the breakthrough when Jesper Fetch was felled inside their
opponent’s penalty area after 76 minutes of play and Jørgensenn stood up and
fired home the spot kick. From thence on, the 11, 008 spectators inside the
famous Blue Water Arena got their money’s worth as they enjoyed their side take
firm control of the game and kickoff to a fine start to the SAA  league.
Esbjerg’s next match is on Sunday away to Viborg FF, the two sides  have met
before on 38 occasions, and Njogu’s Esbjerg ran victorious on eleven
occasions but lost seventeen times to ten overall draws. Their Sunday meeting  will be
their 39th and the atmosphere is expected to be tough