GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:04:52 -0500
Ya Soffie, Camara, and other List managers, I hope you all know that we have
the utmost respect for you and we appreciate what you are doing. I must say
for the record that I am willing to give the List managers benefit of the
doubt and I do not believe that Yaya is behind this ruling of yours.
Frankly, when I saw Landing Jatta's complaint, I thought that Baba Keita
made a mistake by using the wrong mail address. I simply could not imagine
that he has been delisted.

I think most of you attempting to police the contents of our messages are
missing a very fundamental point. We are not propagating the idea that it is
all right to come here and haul insults at people. What most of us are
complaining about, is the selective manner in which these rules are being
applied. What is appropriate language according to G_L List management? And
please do not tell me that we should know, because we do not know. To me, it
is more egregious for Alieu Keita to come here and tell blatant lies about
me than for some one to call Alieu Keita stupid or to call Yaya a moron.
When Alieu Keita came here and said that I was the one who wrote about
Yaya's dad and went on to lie about my family, did G_L List management tell
Alieu Keita to cease and desist? I do not even want to get into the way this
man was insulting Ebrima Ceesay who is putting his life on the line for the
freedom of people back home. Yet with all the garbage coming from this man
(up to his last posting) he is still allowed to insult people. G_L List
management should tell Alieu Keita that if he tells another lie, he will be
delisted or if he says something offensive to Ebrima Ceesay, he will be
delisted. If you find it justifiable to protect Yaya's feelings, I think it
is incumbent upon you to also protect the feelings of those that are trying
to speak for the people Yaya murders. Why is it that only people like
Tombong, Essa Sey, Yaya and Alieu Keita get this preferential treatment? Is
it because we do not whine about our hurt feelings? This ruling is wrong. I
am very offended by what Alieu Keita has been doing here. But I would have
been the last person to suggest that he be kicked out of the List. I was
prepared to take all his abuse and ignore the ignoramus until he had
something substantive to say. That strategy was working, because soon
enough, the moron started interviewing / talking to himself. I was not upset
because the List managers did not tell Keita to keep his mouth shut. I
simply did not want to give the self-promoter his fifteen minutes of fame.
Left to me alone, no one will discuss with this person. It is unfair to the
people Keita was attacking to delist someone that was giving Keita a dose of
his (Keita's) own medicine. It is not right to kick George Sarr out of this
forum for attacking a Yaya crony and then when George is attacked by Keita,
List management goes mute.

List management should know that we are the ones on their side. If Yaya had
his way, there will be no G_L. G_L's contributions to the political
discourse in Gambia, is unquestionable. For instance, just a few days ago,
Camara sent us a mail from Foroyaa talking about the Alimenta debacle. What
I found in that article were issues we discussed here more than two months
ago. There are numerous issues like that. And all these issues were not
brought to the G_L by our politically correct, holier-than-thou friends.
These were mainly issues brought by Ebrima's Sources and expanded upon by
people List management is now portraying as undesirable elements. What is
going on?

In conclusion, I respectfully urge List management to reconsider the
decision to delist Baba Keita and also endeavor to apply the rules more
uniformly. I also promise to start complaining about language I think should
not be used on G_L. Since that is the slippery road we want to go, let us
all play by the rules. Let me just remind all of us that none of us has
intellectual property rights on what is good for our people. All we can do,
is contribute our little parts.
KB