GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 2004 18:58:29 +0000
Joe

I agree with you. This is a big blunder by UNCLE Swaebou Conateh. I think this man should have used this occasion to challenge Jammeh after various arsonists attacks against the Independent Newspaper. Hamat Bah has disclosed the wo soldiers who committed that the last arson attack against an Independent Newspaper.

Sad to read that Marcel Thomasi was doing the spin work. The Gambia Government has a lot of questions pertaining to the harassment of the media. I would prefer if the Government come clean on the arsonist attacks .

Sanusi
.
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
All, what on earth has gotten to some of the private houses to partake in
Jammeh's corrupting of Gambians with his stolen loot? Is this a window in
the minds of these journalists? How can they continue to be independent if
they agree to be corrupted? Their behavior suggests that as long as the
gifts from Jammeh goes to them, then it's ok. They need to be embarrassed
and it is an insult to our collective intelligence for them to hide behind
Ramadan for their miserly behavior. This is unbelievable!! Please read on.

As media houses come under criticism
Foroyaa reject Jammeh’s gift
By Ebrima Jaw Manneh & Yusuf Ceesay
Nov 8, 2004, 08:24

Email this article
Printer friendly page

Foroyaa, a bi-weekly newspaper has rejected President Jammeh’s recent
donation of Ramadan gifts to media houses.

Commenting on their stand, Halifa Sallah, a board member of the Foroyaa news
paper said President Jammeh should have given the rice and sugar to the poor
and needy and not media houses. He argued that government should have
explained to the media how the gifts were acquired, quoting section 207
which states that “the media is empowered to monitor and promote the
transparency and accountability for the betterment of the nation.”
He accused the government of being responsible for the “extreme poverty in
the country,” adding that a civil servant who receives D1,500 monthly cannot
live on a kilo of meat a day.

“It is better for the government if people feed themselves on a permanent
basis than to give out charity,” he said.
In a related development, media houses have come under strong condemnation
following their acceptance of Ramadan gifts from President Jammeh on Friday.

According to critics, media houses should not have accepted the gift of 160
bags of rice and sugar as it is against the moral principles of journalism.

“Journalists must never take gifts. I am confused by the remarks made by
Swaebou Conateh that the gifts were given in the spirit of the religion. He
was trying to sugar the whole thing. If people like him who are looked on to
as the doyens of Gambian journalism could just speak like that, I am
surprised. All I can say is a gift is just a gift,” one critic said.

Another critic who spoke to the Daily Observer said: “I am surprised that
the people we call veteran journalists are using the name of Ramadan to
justify their wrongs. By accepting these gifts, they have endangered the
independence and neutrality of the media. They have blundered.”