GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 14:14:03 CET
Jabou Joh,

Your inconsistency and dishonesty for someone who claims to be a good Muslim
is becoming more and more apparent. If you term what you are doing as trying
to be a goood Muslim then you don't know what a good Muslim is. First of all
you are the one who started equating Islam with Arabs. In all my postings on
this issue I did not mention Islam with a even a single word. What I have
been referring to all along was blatant Arab racicism and the untainability
of trying lay the responsibility for the atrocities committed by Arabs
against Black Africans at the doorstep of one man.

I can never considere you a good Muslim just because of the fact that you
choose to constantly wear your religion up your sleeve. One of the most
important properties of a good Muslim is being truthful which you have not
been at all on this issue. My answers are interspersed in your mail below.

You wrote:

>Let me ask you these questions. How exactly did you arrive at labelling me
>defender of Arab racism anywhere? Just because I try to be  a good muslim?
>What does that have to do with me and Arab racism?

You could have started by showing me where I have accused you of being a
defender of Arab racicism. My point is that whiles people were trying to
identify the root cause of the attcks on Black Africans by Arabs as being
Arab racicism and Arab contempt for Blacks, you vehemently tried to prove
otherwise by picking on one single man. By deliberately trying to divert
attention from collective responsibility by all Libyans (ARABS) for these
horrible crimes against Blacks you tried to exempt them from blame. Why?

As far as your trying to be a good Muslim is concerned, I don't know what
I've got do do with that except to point out to you that you have proven
yourself incaple of separating Islam from Arabs. You seem to be confusing
the two and seem to think that the two are interchangable. You have only
yourself to blame for this. When people talk about Arab contempt for Blacks
and Arab racicism against Blacks, you accuse them of being anti-Islam. You
are no better Muslim than any of us just because you constantly wear your
religion up your sleeve and choose to wave Islam in our face whenever you
have no other plausible arguments to come forward with. That is most
un-Islamic!

From what you have come to
>know of me in my contributions here on the L, can you honestly say that i
>am
>someone who will defend racism or any form of injustice? Where did this
>accusation come from and what is it based on?

Of what I have come to know of you from your contributions here on the L is
that you are a religious bigot and that you do not have a consistent line of
analysis. You have a pretty opportunistic way of appraising situations. I
won't level such strong accusation with proffering evidence to back it up.

Today you see fit to distance yourself from Imam Fatty, but last year in an
exchange that we had about the Ahmadiyya, you vehemently defended his
attacks on the sect. You demonstrated yourself incapable of foreseeing what
such attacks could lead to and even refused to acknowledge the dangerousness
of such fundamentalist rhetoric when I tried to point it out to you. It
seems that in your quest to find favour with Allah, whoever shouts out
religious rhetoric loudest, is the man. The likes of me know that Gambia
belongs to all who live in it. For me, their religions don't matter. I judge
people NOT according to their religious believes.

Is it not because of the gullibility of your ilk, that Yahya Jammeh
understood that all he needed to do was shed his military garb for a grand
Khaftan, "kurus"/"tassabayo" in one hand and the holy Quran in the other,
and a paid Imam on his side in order to dupe Gambians and run for President
or should I say, walk for president, since it was so easy? And when his paid
Imam started to attack innocent people you applauded him here on the L.
Today when the chickens come home to roost, what do you do? Is Imam Fatty
suddenly no longer the Islamic crusader he was yesterday to you today? You
see my point? How are you different from Jammeh and Fatty?

The likes of me did not need to sit back and wait for the attacks on poor,
innocent women trying to make a living out of a difficult daily existence
before we could see what such religious opportunism as you encourage, could
lead to. I prefer to show my deep appreciation to God for choosing to make
me into human being and not a cow or a goat by behaving like a human being.
I don't propound what I cannot defend and I never tell a lie for whatever
reason. Some of you religious opportunists seem to always forget that Islam
means PEACE and calls for peaceful co-existence. You Islamic opportunists
are the worse enemies of Islam. You give Islam a bad name. Just look at how
you make all attempts to drag Islam into this exchange whose origin and
nature was about Arabs attacking innocent Black people, long exploited, who
have left behind their families and loved ones in order to try to make ends
meet in foreign hostile lands. Unlike you, I could identify with those
victims of Arab terror because just over a decade and a half earlier, I was
there having walked half across the Sahara desert doing then, what they are
doing today. These victims, unlike you, did not get a one-way ticket on
Pan-Am. They risked life and limb and suffer daily degradation at the hands
of Arabs. The least you could have done is sympathise with them and show
your wrath at those who perpetrated these crimes. Plane and simple! But no,
you had to reach for the Quran and some preconceived notion about Ghadaffi
even when those same victims were saying that the man had nothing to do with
it and that it was due to Arab racicism.

>I told you that your ignorance about Islam is showing because if you think
>that it is a religion where one supports any form of injustice, that is
>proof
>that you know nothing about what you are condemning.

My dear holy sister! Where and when did I condemn Islam. This is why I
maintain that you have so much complex for Arabs that you mistake them for
Islam. If you were the good Muslim that you try to portray yourself to be,
you would either quote me where I condemned this beautiful, all-time
religion, as my Brother Malcolm used to say, or withdraw the unfounded
accusation. But knowing you, I know that you are incapable of that too. This
is a sad day for Islam when the likes of you are its outward face. For you,
Jabou Islam is just a pawn whose name you misuse/abuse when it suits you.
Remember Allah is watching and listening!

>I think your bias against Islam is clouding your judgement so that you
>attack
>anyone who even remotely identifies themselves with the religion. That is
>very bizarre indeed.

You see how you move in acircles, repeating the same unfounded accusation
against me. One day, you must tell me what it is you have for Arabs that
makes you go to such lengths!

>Please show me where I have defended or condoned Arab
>racism. Quote it for me if you will.

Please check out the third paragraph if the answer to this has already
evapourated from your Arab biased mind.

>However, I see that you and others here on the L seem to have tunnel
>vision,
>and display a simple mindedness that is beyond belief. It appears that if
>one
>happens to condemn e.g injustice in Palestine, then one better mention all
>injustice going on in the World in that particular post otherwise, it is
>automatically assumed that you condone the ones you failed to mention. How
>warped, narrow and simplistic a view is that? Wow, I think you and anyone
>who
>thinks that way need to step back just a bit, and re-examine what you are
>saying.

Who else are you trying to drag into this? Simple mindedness? How can this
come from a person who equates Arabs with Islam? No, Jabou whenever you
perform your hobby of condemning Israel/Jews you don't need to go on and
condemn all injustice in the world at the same time. All you need to do is
condemn Arabs when they murder Blacks! What's your problems? You love Arabs
more than you love your own?

>I am hoping that there is some objectivity and common sense there
>somewhere.

Sometimes you sound funny too!

>If Khaddafi is your hero, defend him by all means, but I do not have to
>share
>that view, nor do you have to use the occasion to label me something  it is
>very evident I am not.

Jabou, you are the one who's been doing all the labelling here. Anyway after
all the ignorance and gullibility that you demonstrated so far, I am not
surprised that your CNN/Newsweek traumatised mind cannot put African
questions in their proper perspective.

I have pointed out repeatedly to you before, that what goes around comes
around! For me I don't have to make a show of my fear of God. That is
something personal. Something between me and God. When I die, I'll be alone
in my grave. I won't share that with anyone, however close they may have
been to me on earth. I won't share a common account with anyone either. I'll
personally have to account for all my deeds and misdeeds on earth.

However, I have a common account with you and all other Black people who
suffer daily harassment and injustice everywhere we go, even at home. That
is the account you and I share. When a Black man is lynched and murdered,
whether in Stockholm, Moscow or New York, it is not because he is Muslim or
Christian. The NYPD criminals who pumped forty-one bullets into Amadou
Jallow did not know his religion. All they knew was that he was a "nigger".
It was because he is Black! It is because he is different. When Yaya
Jammeh's goons opened fire on Gambian school children, it was not because
they are Muslim or Christain. It was because they were marching for justice.
Fighting against oppression and injustice are the common account that all
suffering people share. So for me whoever joins the fight for justice is a
man/woman of God. For me Mandela is a Man of God; so was Luther  King,
Gandhi, Pa Edward Small, etc, etc. That is why I don't wear my religion on
my sleeve. For me, that is a sign of weakness!

Regards,

Kabir.