GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bakary Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 04:30:03 +0000
>In his opening address, Maitre Abdoulaye Wade expressed appreciation for
>the
>honour accorded him by President Jammeh, a man he said had upheld the rule
>of law and justice in the country. President Wade said he was once a lawyer
>and a law lecturer and was greatly influenced to see that justice was never
>denied. He said the new magistrates' court was a clear testimony of
>President Jammeh's commitment to the prevalence of peace and justice.

President Jammeh should have been seriously embrassed when contrary to  his
true record, he was hailed by President Wade as a man who upholds the rule
of law and justice in the country. As there is no external head of state
more aware of the true human right picture of the Gambia than President
Wade, one can therefore only conclude that President Wade was either not
telling the truth or that his speech was simply ironical.
The Collins Pocket English Dictionary defines Irony as follows: 1."midly
sarcastic use of words to imply the opposite of what is said. 2. Aspect of a
situation that is odd or amusing because the opposite of what one would
expect."

President Jammeh definitely knows that he does not deserve the tribute paid
to him by the wise oldman. Let us only hope that Jammeh has absorbed the
intended message from Wade who for diplomatic ethics or norms could not have
said in public exactly what what he meant. I have no doubt that in private
he would have advised Yahya Jammeh to abide by the rule of law and practice
justice. It is a pity that under diplomatic norms what is  discussed in
private is hardly what is  taken out in the public domain. It is high time
that Jammeh changed for the better and start by setting the captives free.
President Wade's reference to peace and justice in his speech is indicative
enough. Peace and justice are inseparable.

The yoke of oppression must be shattered!

BMK