GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha C Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 12:55:50 EDT
KB:

I have to agree with you on this one.

The reemergence of DK Jawara and the PPP as a result of the abrogation of
Decree 89 is a blessing in disguise; an awesome strategic opportunity for a
united Opposition to use the pulling power of the former president and ex-PPP
stalwarts to canvass votes.  Please note that when the APRC regime lifted the
decree, they did not calculate that the former president would come back into
the picture.  This is all the more reason why the Opposition should take
advantage of this opportunity while it is still present.  I tend to liken
this opportunity to the manna dropped by God on the Israelites;  in a time of
unprecedented hardships on Gambians, Allah has presented us with a clear
opportunity to get out of this mess.   In the same vein, the pulling power,
albeit less than that of the former ruling party, of the GPP and NCP should
also be a resource that a united Opposition should tap into.

I was going to attempt to lay it out bare this weekend but unfortunately I
received a cut on one of the fingers I use to type.  This has reduced me to a
mere hobbler when it concerns typing.  Nevertheless, the situation we face is
simple:

<Use all the resources at our disposal to remove a clear and present evil,
the Jammeh regime>>

If this situation is transparent to us, how we go about removing the present
regime should not be of great concern as long as the final result is
achieved.  In this light, using the canvassing power of the ex-decree 89
politicians should not be seen as a negative but as a positive instead.

  After all, the PPP are angelic regime when compared to what we have now.
Jawara never ordered the massacre of school kids.  His regime did not foster
and atmosphere where the basic rights of Gambians are trampled upon each day.
 Jawara did not provide electricity to his home village at the expense of all
others.  Jawara did not have a private plane for his use.  Lady Chilel and
Njammeh did not board private planes at the expense of the taxpayer for
shopping sprees to NY or Las Vegas.

So brothers and sisters, I ask you; What is the big deal here?  Pleaseheath
your swords untilthe ruling regime is removed.  At this point, I would be
happier to see three crucial; developments:

1.  The Opposition parties come together as one with one agenda.

2.  Jawara return to The Gambia from London ASAP.

3.  Jawara and all the opposition parties come together, agree on one
campaign agenda, and universally condemn the ruling party as bad for the
country.

Good week to all.

Yus