GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 16:33:58 -0500
Ebrima, your sources are doing a tremendous job exposing the shenanigans
that Yaya and his cronies are engaged in. The groundnut problem that has
dogged this government since its inception, will not go away. That is
because you have fools like Yaya at the helm being manipulated by
opportunists of the highest order. Previously it was Libyans and Baba Jobe.
Now it is some bogus American outfit conniving with the Amadou Samba's of
this world. Is this Modou Dibba the same guy that was disgraced and made
homeless by this same regime he is now purportedly working for? As I said in
this forum months ago, the solution for this groundnut debacle lies in
Washington, DC and not in Banjul. Morons like Yaya, inept counsel like Secka
and corrupt businessmen like Amadou Samba cannot and will not solve this
problem. The government currently has a case pending at the World Bank. This
is a case Alimenta brought against the government. All the lawyers involved,
including lawyers representing Yaya, know that the government does not have
legs to stand on. As long as the case is pending, lawyers get paid. Secka
does not have the wherewithal to advise Yaya to cut his losses and settle
the case now. Yaya, being the clue-less fool he is, cannot decipher what
should be glaring to the naked eye. The problem is not about getting a
dubious outfit that will buy the groundnut from the farmers. There are tons
of Amadou Sambas and Tarik Musas willing to engage in such money laundering
activities. Where the problem lies, is in the ability of the middleman to
sell the groundnut in the international market. Alimenta is among the five
most powerful groundnut buyers in the world. A country like Gambia does not
want to be on the wrong side of such a corporation. The Americans that want
to go to Gambia for the groundnut will get burnt. The reason they are
lowering their buying price is because they cannot find a market for the
groundnut. Gambian farmers should not be the ones suffering at the bottom of
the heap. If the prices offered by this bogus outfit are not competitive,
farmers should just do like they did before and cross the border to go sell
their nuts in Senegal. If they are really tired of this rigmarole, the
farmers should assist in getting rid of Yaya. So long as Yaya is there, the
farmers will never be able to sell their groundnuts at the best rates
possible. All these promises from Yaya and his gang are lies. This is
business. No American company will buy the groundnut from the farmers
knowing that it will encounter difficulties selling the groundnut. Unless of
course the American company is not putting its money up front. The
government tried intimidating local banks to get them to finance the
groundnut trade. Reputable banks in The Gambia turned them down because they
knew this was a losing proposition. If people close their eyes one second,
the government will go to Social Security or the Central Bank to try and
siphon some money out to these bogus businessmen. So, Amadou et al will be
using taxpayers' money to finance this trade at zero risk to them. That way,
if they cannot sell the groundnut outside Gambia, guess who would be left in
the cold. I do not for one moment believe that American investors are that
naïve or that philanthropic to invest in such a profitless venture.  I
cannot also envisage a situation where this company will get investment
guarantees from the U.S. government or multilateral organizations. Their
only guarantee would be from Yaya. If they are not fools, they will demand
their money up-front by forcing Yaya to provide the financing. In any case,
ordinary Gambian farmers cannot win. Opposition parties should retrace
Yaya's tour and go up country and debunk the lies Yaya told the farmers. The
farmers have to understand that their salvation does not lie with Yaya. No
respectable groundnut buyer want to touch our groundnuts because of fear of
reprisal from Alimenta. We need a government that can get us out of this
mess.
KB