GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2007 08:35:49 EDT
Malanding,
        All the questions you asked are  intricately tied to the question of
sovereignty and sovereign being. People who  are capable of making their own
decisions, and to what extend those decisions  impact on the overall dynamics
of changing the course of our political  history.

      Consider the political history of the  Gambia, and the kinds of
relations that has ensued between those who govern and  the people; the
characteristics of those relations, and how far they have gone  to perpetuating a status
quo that is both entrenched and ingrained in the minds  of people.

       The Gambia is a very diverse  country both in terms of people and
their interests relations. This diversity  and interest relations does impinge on
the political reality, such that overtly  or covertly it does influence and
shape the outcome of our political  deliberations. The question therefore is:
does this diversity and interest  relations shape the outcome negatively or
positively?

       From my own standpoint, and I believe  from the standpoint of PDOIS,
the most fundamental question is the unifying  factor; the one constant that
holds the country together. A political order that  is rooted in law, and a
constitution that embodies the aims and aspirations  of our diverse interest.

       The question why  PDOIS can or cannot seemingly make an impact for the
last 20  years, should be considered within the context of the various
possibilities  you have explored. Is it because of tribal politics or political
ignorance? Is  it because of a lack of good delivery system or that the message
was too complex  for people to understand? Are there any metrics to gauge the
impact of  PDOIS's effectiveness or lack thereof to the people?

     The only way I can respond to the metrics of  gauging the effectiveness
of PDOIS's orientation programs, both social and  political, is to look at it
from an analogous viewpoint. If you have a well  of knowledge, and a lot of
people drink from that well, how are we going to know  the people who drank from
the well if they didn't say so themselves.

     Unfortunately, there has never been any recourse  in which PDOIS or any
other person for that matter can carry out polls or  surveys to determine the
effectiveness of their programs or policies. However,  there are some which
are quite visible. Also, a lot of people have gained from  PDOIS's political
orientation, including my humble self.  Again how can you  quantify that without
carrying out a poll or survey to determine who and  how many are they. May be
you should conduct a poll or survey, and we will all  learn from it.

     Rene