GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 18:37:19 EDT
Malanding,

While I agree with you that  peanut farming is not the answer to our economic
woes and I certainly do not  have the answers, but I am just a little taken
aback by your suggestion that we  train people and then farm them out for
employment in the West. Isn't that  worsening the brain drain problem and what
about developing the home front if we  invest in educating our youth and then
sending them out to go work in other  countries?

I can assure you that if I was able to find opportunities at  home, I would
not have ventured elsewhere and I have head this same sentiment  expressed by
many.

Rather than framing out our youth to the West, I think  one area that the
economies of African countries in particular can be greatly  improved is if the
Western countries like the U.S and U.K for example open up  trade and allow
African goods to be exported to these countries without any of  the current
restrictions and quotas that result in imbalance of trade against  Africa. Along
with that, rather than institutions like the IMF and World Bank  lining the
pockets of corrupt governments on the continent and sinking African  countries
deeper and deeper into debt,  and if the intention is to help  Africa as they
claim, some of those funds can be used to make capital available  to African
entrepreneurs to start businesses and to encourage Africans to buy  African and
keep the money at home and create jobs locally.

As someone  involved in the import/export business, it pains me daily when I
see that all  the commodities we use on a daily basis in Africa is imported
and even  when it comes to the procurement of those commodities, the various
African  governments who place orders for these goods bypass African companies
in the  business to utilize outside companies mainly because they are looking
for  kickbacks in the transaction. In the case of Gambia, the APRC have
essentially  taken this business from the small business person and turned it into a
monopoly  for a select few.

If you look at the U.S government, the Small Business  Administration puts a
lot of priority in assisting entrepreneurs to set up  businesses, from
providing grants, low interest loans and free services to  prepare business plans and
free mentoring from retired executives in SCORE (  Service Corps of Retired
Executives)who volunteer their services through the SBA  all intended to
encourage those who are so inclined to start small businesses.  All of this because
they realize the impact that the creation of small  businesses has on the
economy from increasing tax revenue to the creation of  employment opportunities
for the general public. The U.S government also  provides many good incentives
to small businesses if they create jobs and  they also encourage economic
growth in rural areas by providing grants to  entrepreneurs through the community
development block grants program if they  will start businesses in these
rural areas.

Of course single crop farming  is an evil practice that was implemented by
colonial governments who basically  assigned each of the countries they
colonized different crops to grow which they  could then buy and import into the
Mother country namely the U.K in our case.  When this system was devised,  the
economic well being of the colonized  country did not feature in the decision.
Instead, it was designed with the  intention to meet the needs of the colonist
country who only cared that they had  different providers for what they needed
in their own economies without worrying  about the impact on the colonized
country then or in the long run.

In  terms of agriculture, encouraging farmers to grow multiple crops that can
both  be consumed at home as well as that have a market outside the country
and  working to help them gain access to these markets are other alternatives
that  can be looked at. Getting more people interested in growing for example
vegetables and even organic herbs to name a few, and to establish industries
such as canning and freezing of vegetables and our local fruits for export
etc,  and even tapping into the garment industry in the West by assisting
entrepreneurs to tap into this market by helping them to get manufacturing
contracts such as are offered to people in Asia are all things that our  government
can give priority to in discussions with our development partners  instead of
taking more loans that has no impact on the condition of  the  average citizen
in our country or elsewhere in Africa.

Also working to  change the mind set that imported items are better than
locally made or locally  grown will go a long way in helping to keep money at home.

I believe that  there are so many ways in which economic growth can be
stimulated in The Gambia  and the rest of Africa without compromising our own growth
in other areas  and  instead of training our youth and then farming them out
with all the  accompanying negative effects that may have in our overall
advancement.

It is certainly an excellent topic of debate to see what  options we have
towards finding a solution to this dilemma.

Jabou  Joh

In a message dated 9/13/2006 3:06:15 P.M. Central Daylight  Time,