GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi M Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:13:37 +0000
Daily Observer
Monday, March 10 2003

Fatoumatta Jahumpa Ceesay nominated member of the National Assembly on
Friday critised fellow members of the Assembly for being "unfair" to women
of this country.

The Member's fury started when her proposal for members to observe a
minute's silence for dead woman activitist, Satang Jorbateh was thrown out.

'I want to be on records that I made a motion in this National Assembly to
observe a minute's silence for one of our sisters who regularly attended our
proceedings, and was blatantly refused by the Assembly, because she was a
woman," FJC told Parliament.

She added that there is nothing wrong with observing a minute's silence for
Satang since we are all good Muslims and Christians.  "Or is it because she
is a woman, that's why men are refusing, saying it has to be done at a
rally?  We are offended, the women are offended and you have to apologise ",
she told parliamentarians.

Hon. Ramzia Diab another nominated member declared support for FJC's
proposal.  She told the Speaker that rejecting the proposal is gross
disrespect.  "I have the right to say what I want to say this has nothing to
do with gender, it is humanitarian gesture.  This was a woman who had
trained most of the National Assembly Members women in school.  All we want
is to observe a minute 's silnce in respect of her soul," she stressed.

She pointed out that this suggestion has nothing to do with the Women's Day
celebration in Mansakonko.  It's just to respect the chair she used to sit
on because, she always attended sittings at the National assembly," she
said, threatening to stage a women MP walkout.

In response, Speaker Sheriff Mustapha Dibba, said while he has very good
regard for the late Satang Jobarteh, the House has to go by the majority
decision.  Besides so many prominent women have passed away in this country
without the National Assembly observing a minute's silence in their memory.

Hon. Halifa Sallah, Member for Serrekunda Central called for th matter to be
put to a vote.