GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 22:52:32 -0800
Hi folks,

A belated, and BIG "Thank you!" to Joe and all others down there in "Chi town",
Chicago. It's great to hear that your tireless efforts were rewarded by the eyes
and ears of Chicago, and the media.  Keep up the good work!

A suggestion:  I think we should follow-up on this.  We should get the list of
all the big names that attended the lecture and/or dinner and write to them to
follow-up on the fliers you distributed in Chicago.  This will not only provide
them more information, it will also provide them updated information, and keep
the issue Jammeh's terrible government fresh in their minds.

I think we should also link up with the Nigerian groups that demonstrated to
launch a joint effort to get to the bottom of the Nigerian crude oil deal. With
luck, we might be able to link up with some Nigerian groups that might bring the
case to President Obasanjo's desk.  After all, it was their oil that was stolen
for about two years, and the proceeds deposited in a Swiss bank.  This is a case
that might easily be tied to investigations about the late General Abacha's
crookery, and we should not fail to explore this opportunity, especially given
that the APRC members of parliament will never allow a full investigation of the
crude oil deal.  If they won't investigate the deal, we will, and use all means
at our disposal.  In this regard, it would be great if Joe can send us the names
of the Nigerian groups that demonstrated in Chicago, and we can take it from
there.

And before I forget, I'd like to congratulate MRDG-UK about their briefing
earlier today (Tues., Feb. 28) at the House of Commons.  It's great to have
achieved such an audience, and I'm sure the meeting will make huge contributions
to our collective efforts to rid The Gambia of President Jammeh's corrupt and
autocratic rule.

Have a great weekend, and best wishes.

Katim