GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Matarr Sajaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 04:24:34 EST
Hello Fellow Gambians
  As we join in the celebration of democracy for Senegal, We should
take time and examine the instruments that lead to the success of the
opposition alliance and see if the same mechanisms can work for us.
     First, we must focus on voter turnout and voter registration. Every
Gambian that is of voting age should be able to vote regardless of
demographics.
We must collectively pressure the electoral committee to identify key voting
venues for
the upcoming elections.
      We must be able to exercise our rights to vote.
Wade is not the winner of this election. The Senegalese people won. They
realized
that the opposition has to become one body to fight the enemy. It was a
collective struggle with Wade as the Captain.
       If Gambians are frustrated with the Jammeh Government and its corrupt
practices, countless human rights abuses, the abuse of power and
misappropriation of government funds, then the people must come together and
send him the same message Senegal sent to Diop.
       Power belongs to the people, is controlled by the people and must
benefit the people. We have less than a year to form an alliance for
democracy.
Lets engage our leaders in dialogue to form a single opposition and fight
injustice.
       "Success is not free neither is failure" Win or lose we still have
consequences to deal with.
Our country is deserving of better leadership. Lets begin now by contributing
our human, physical and financial resources to this endeavor. We have held
Halifa to the rigor of political patriotism, now this is our time to put
ourselves through the same rigor.
          We must alert both western and regional media by appealing for
transparency during the process and work on
voter fraud. The only thing to fear is fear itself.  We must change the
system.
          Are we ready? Are we far away from democracy? May be we are too
afraid to change?
I believed someone stated on this forum that "the beast you know is better
than the one you don't know" is this
characteristics of us Gambians?  Because if it is then fear not the beast you
don't know for it can lead you or of mayhem. This paradigm has been solved by
the people of Senegal.
         Thank you.
Keep pressing on.. Power lies in the hands of the people
Matarr Sajaw.