GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Malanding S. Jaiteh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 14:48:14 -0500
Some interesting history but I must say that to modern mandingoes, the Akus
were the only group that earn themselves the title of Kebba. "N'na Aku
Kebba".

I am told by an uncle that the Akus were very generous to young mandingo
migrant laborers in then pre-independence Banjul. Not only were they host of
the Mandingoes they were employers too. As a result most "affluent"
Mandingoes in say Baddibu will all have their Fulla Nding'o, Suruwa (wollof)
Nding, Joloa Nding and Aku Kebba or Aku Musa Kebba!

Nice to see Gambia-L talking history.

Malanding Jaiteh