GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 20:38:04 EST
Construction of the Ka'ba Sharif

At this place both father and son constructed that focal point of Tawheed
which is renowned today as the Ka'ba in the whole world. Allah himself
selected this center and suggested its site. The full details of how this
center was erected, with what sentiments and prayers both father and son
raised its walls and how Hajj was initiated are given thus in Al-Qur'an:
Allah said:

And (remember) when Ibrāhim (Abraham) and (his son) Ismā'il (Ishmael) were
raising the foundations of the House (the Ka'bah at Makkah), (saying), "Our
Lord! Accept (this service) from us. Verily! You are the All-Hearer, the
All-Knower."
"Our Lord! And make us submissive unto You and of our offspring a nation
submissive unto You, and show us our Manāsik (all the ceremonies of
pilgrimage - Hajj and 'Umrah, etc.), and accept our repentance. Truly, You
are the One Who accepts repentance, the Most Merciful.

"Our Lord! Send amongst them a Messenger of their own (and indeed Allāh
answered their invocation by sending Muhammad Peace be upon him ), who shall
recite unto them Your Verses and instruct them in the Book (this Qur'ān) and
Al-Hikmah (full knowledge of the Islāmic laws and jurisprudence or wisdom or
Prophethood, etc.), and purify them. Verily! You are the All-Mighty, the
All-Wise."

(Al-Qur'an 2:127-129 )

Verily, the first House (of worship) appointed for mankind was that at Bakkah
(Makkah), full of blessing, and a guidance for Al-'Alamīn (the mankind and
jinns).

In it are manifest signs (for example), the Maqām (place) of Ibrāhim
(Abraham); whosoever enters it, he attains security. And Hajj (pilgrimage to
Makkah) to the House (Ka'bah) is a duty that mankind owes to Allāh, those who
can afford the expenses (for one's conveyance, provision and residence); and
whoever disbelieves [i.e. denies Hajj (pilgrimage to Makkah), then he is a
disbeliever of Allāh], then Allāh stands not in need of any of the 'Alamīn
(mankind and jinns)

(Al-Qur'an 3:96-97 )

And (remember) when Ibrāhim (Abraham) said: "O my Lord! Make this city
(Makkah) one of peace and security, and keep me and my sons away from
worshipping idols.

"O my Lord! They have indeed led astray many among mankind. But whoso follows
me, he verily is of me. And whoso disobeys me, - still You are indeed
Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

"O our Lord! I have made some of my offspring to dwell in an uncultivable
valley by Your Sacred House (the Ka'bah at Makkah); in order, O our Lord,
that they may perform As-Salāt (Iqāmat-as-Salāt), so fill some hearts among
men with love towards them, and (O Allāh) provide them with fruits so that
they may give thanks.

(Al-Qur'an 14:35-37 )

And (remember) when We showed Ibrāhim (Abraham) the site of the (Sacred)
House (the Ka'bah at Makkah) (saying): "Associate not anything (in worship)
with Me, [Lā ilāha ill-Allāh (none has the right to be worshipped but Allāh)
- Islāmic Monotheism], and sanctify My House for those who circumambulate it,
and those who stand up (for prayer), and those who bow (submit themselves
with humility and obedience to Allāh), and make prostration (in prayer);"

And proclaim to mankind the Hajj (pilgrimage). They will come to you on foot
and on every lean camel, they will come from every deep and distant (wide)
mountain highway (to perform Hajj).

(Al-Qur'an 22:26-27 )

This House was not meant merely for the purpose of worshipping; on the
contrary from the very first day it was made the Headquarters of the
universal Islamic mission. Its purpose was that believers in Allah, drawn
from all parts of the world, should assemble here each year, perform Ibadat
collectively and go back to their countries carrying with them the message of
Islam.

 Realization of Ibraheem's Prayer (peace be upon him)

In the course of history, descendants of Ibraheem and Isma'eel went astray
from the path of Tawheed, and gradually adopted all those bad practices which
were rampant among the other ignorant communities. Hundreds of idols were
installed in that very Ka'ba which was built as a center of preaching and
exhortation for the worship of one God. Ironically enough, idols were made of
Ibraheem and Isma'eel themselves whose lives were spent in exterminating the
practice of idol-worship.
Then the time came for granting the prayer of Ibraheem and Isma'eel (peace be
on them) which they had invoked while raising the walls of the Ka'ba:

"And raise up in their midst a messenger. . ."
"And of our seed a nation submissive unto Thee."

A perfect man rose from the progeny of Ibraheem whose name was Muhammad  . He
revived the genuine and pure religion which was established by Ibraheem. He
purified the Ka'ba of idols and established Tawheed in its purity. He
(Prophet Muhammad ) exterminated all the shameful and brutal practices of
Jahiliyya (ignorance) which Arabs were accustomed to -- idol worship,
spattering the blood and flesh of sacrificed animals on the walls of the
Ka'ba, lewd behavior, ribaldry, wrangling, circumambulation of the Ka'ba in
the state of nudity and other evil customs. Thus the Ka'ba regained its real
position as the focus of Tawheed and Hajj was re-established in its real
meaning and content.