GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
latjor ndow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 16:11:00 +0000
Bro. for your info., This does not interfere with any event planned. The
Sat. program is soccer and free party. Perhaps you do not know this (I do
not know if you live in the states or in japan), but no Gambian party has
ever started before 2:00 am in Atlanta! Nothing is going on between 8:30 pm
till the free party organized by the soccer team. It would be like a Viviane
After Party, really. There is a fundraising party on Friday hence the
decision to not interfere with it. Whoever wants to come will come. Whoever
does not want to will not! So what's the big deal.
Latjor

p.s. Do you know how many Gambians in Atlanta contribute to the July
reunion?????

>From: Gibby Cham <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: VIVIANE N'DOUR & JOLOF BAND - U.S. TOUR
>Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 08:42:14 -0700
>
>  Here we go again, another interruption of the July 4th weekend by another
>smart and business oriented person.  We've been here before and infact for
>three consecutive years now. Last two years was with Nderr which turn out
>to the soccer team taking over the hosting of the events. Did anybody ask
>why July 6th was selected as the tour date for Atlanta? Common sense will
>tell you it is because of the July 4th gambian reunion weekend here in the
>ATL which attracts a lot of gambians and Senegalese natinwide.
>
>If the Atlanta gambian community goes all out, and I mean raised funds and
>each person contributes a sum of money to organise the soccer games
>Saturday and Sunday night parties, why would they interrupt the biggest
>night of all---Saturday night to host the Vivianne show. This is truely a
>business-oriented person. I love Vivianne's music very much and I will not
>miss her show for so many things, but I think this is the wrong night for
>the concert. Why can't they pick Friday night July 5th, which is the
>opening day of the weekend events since nothing much happens that night
>anyway. I thought may that would have been much better and it would have
>made it a more fruitful weekend.
>
>I personally think this is unfair to the Atlanta gambians organising the
>July 4th for someone to organise an event like this that will turn away
>most of their Saturday night party attendance to the Vivianne show or. I
>think this needs to be looked into. I understand a business owner needs to
>make revenues for his business, but he/she needs to be considerate of a lot
>of things while doing so.
>
>Another point is that every other city that Vivianne goes during her tour
>will give the residents of those cities the oppotunity to attend the show
>more than the Atlanta residents, who on this weekend has an event in hand
>that they are hosting. I do not think the Atlanta gambians will or should
>leave their Saturday night party which they organise for the Vivianne show.
>Most of the out of town visitors will have an opportunity to see her in
>concert when they return from or right before the July 4th weekend. It is
>definitely not a good date for Atlanta.
>
>Like i said before, I love Viviannes music and I would love to attend the
>show, but this is the wrong night for it. This is my opinion and I don't
>know what everybody else thinks about this especially those living in
>Atlanta.
>
>Sincerely
>Gibby Cham
>

>   latjor ndow <[log in to unmask]> wrote: PRESS RELEASE
>FOR: IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>June 12, 2002
>
>VIVIANE N'DOUR & THE JOLOF BAND - US TOUR
>JULY 3 - 14, 2002

> [...]

<DIV>Tel: 301-593-5844</DIV>
<DIV>E-Mail: <A
href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A></DIV>
<DIV>Website:&nbsp;<A
href="http://www.africafest.com">http://www.africafest.com</A></DIV></html>