GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fatoumata <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 22:42:06 +0200
Ginny dear,

Our dear Pa Samba reacted spontaneously without much reflection. Sorry Pa
Samba I do not mean to be harsh but just trying to be truthful here!

First 'Alsamadeh' or whichever way it is written means GOOD MORNING in
mandinka in a respectful way or addressing a gathering. How did it become an
APRC slogan?
I was in The Gambia during the presidential elections when this slogan
started. Rumours had it that it came out this way:

Henry Gomez, campaigning for the UDP/NRP/ GDPD alliance either in Brufut,
Sukuta or Lamin (cant clearly remember which but i strongly believe it was
Lamin), arrived in the evening. Upon addressing the gathering, he
mistakingly said ALSAMADEY which was misplaced in respect to the time it was
said. AN uproar occured and when the rumours filtered to the APRC
supporters, they took it up as a mockery until it reached our childish
president. You can imagine the rest. Yahya and his cronies took it up to
laugh at the opposition.

Secondly, as for Youssou Ndour using it as a title for his album, i cant
help believing he got it from Yahya Jammeh because he is a close friend of
Yahya. In Fact was he not the one specially invited during the victory
celeberations? However, i concur with your argument Ginny that one cannot
boycott an album due to its title. That does not weight much as an argument.

I am informing PaSamba, in as much as we need to oppose the Yahya Jammeh
regime, there are far better ways to do it than just boycott Youssou Ndour's
album. In fact my question is, would we boycott all other coming albums
because boycotting one album is insignificant to what Youssou will lose. If
we are to boycott other albums, then it becomes seriously unfair to those
who naturally love Youssou Ndour's melodious music.

Merci,