GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pasamba Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 15:28:06 -0800
Azizz Corr Legend Or... What?

Email This Page

Print This Page

The Independent (Banjul)
January 4, 2002
Posted to the web January 4, 2002
Olufemi Jr
Banjul, the Gambia
Fancy being a prolific striker, a good soccer export but then shunned at the stage where you want to shine most. Well, that was what befell former Scorpions striker Aziz Corr. As he unravels here, his absence from the '92 Zone 2 spurred him to cut short his cap collecting routine with the squad.
Probably the most club trotter Gambia has ever had, (he played for nine clubs in Europe) Corr was born in the 60's in remote Basse. However, he gained formal education at Albion and Wesley Primary Schools before landing at Crab Island and Saint Augustine Secondary Schools and crowning it all up at Saint Augustine's high. He fronted for Blue Diamonds, Roots and Young Africans, and in the process, earning both junior and senior caps before he left for a somewhat stillborn trials with English side, Aston Villa. He ended up in far Denmark, where he found the net for B1901, Harfolge, Oksen Park, Berkerod, Framadmager, Evildoer and AB70.
A taste of Belgian and Cypriot soccer was also obtained with Blankerberg and Parliament respectively. A real de Banjul fan and once a household name in The Gambia (and probably abroad), Corr here talks on his career, the highs and lows and a certain Azizz Corr.
Q: What lured you into football?