GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malamin Barrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 00:28:51 +0300
Malamin, Gassama et al
Thanks for forwarding an article as this from Al Jumah publication. I think
it is important, as it opens a debate on a crucial issue in our lives, that
is our religion's prescription of our relationship with other faiths.
I am not surprised that the authors of the Al Jumah article have come out to
categorically condemn any form of participation in the festivities of non
Muslims. Al Jumah being a Gulf publication, is no doubt influenced by the
teachings of Sheikh  Saleh Al Othemeen, a respected Saudi cleric who in 1411
al higra, signed a strong fatwa prohibiting Muslims from any form of
participation in non Muslim festivals.
I note also that the same article restricts Islamic festive holidays to only
the two Eids.  However, I think it is important for people to know that
these views represent a school of though that is prevalent in the Gulf
states, and is not necessarily the view of the entire Islamic Umah.
I know that surat Al-i-Imran verse 28 clearly states the kind of
relationship Muslims should have with non Muslims; and on a strict
interpretation, this may justify the sort thinking guiding the Al Jumah
article.
However, we should also remember and be guided by the fact that when the
Prophet (SAW) went to live in Medina, he maintained a very cordial
relationship with the Yahoud (Jews) that then lived there as well. Indeed
the story of Muslims fasting the day of Youm Al Ashoura came about because
of guidance from Allah (subhana wa taalah) and the interaction of the
Prophet (SAW) with that non Muslim community. Unless acts or non acts are so
fundamental as to affect the basis and practice of our Islamic faith, we
should lean more towards interpretations that lead to communal harmony in
our society.
Again to show that  Al Jumah's article is not necessarily the only version
of things, they restrict Islamic festive holidays to just the two Eids, and
this is indeed the case in all the Gulf states. However Egypt celebrates,
and Al Azhar, the authoritative institution on Sunni Islam, sanctions the
celebration of both Youm Al Ashoura (Islamic new year), and Maulud Al Nabi
(Birthday of the Prophet, SAW). They do so as we do in the Gambia.
Now this brings me to the encounter of Mr Gassama with the Egyptian educated
young man who seem to be condemning everything as we know it in the Gambia.
Unfortunately, this sort of behaviour is now quite common among our young
educated Islamic scholars, most of whom are of recent vintage from the new
middle eastern universities.
This sort of attitude is similar to the behaviour of many of the first crop
Cantab educated Africans who came back to their roots looking down on
harmless local practices. If it wasn't a matter of faith, and therefore
dealing with here and hereafter, then many of these zealots could be
ignored.  But as Islam and Islamic practices are currently the subject of
intense debate; we have to stand firm and defend our ground based on the
teachings of the Koran and the Sunnah as we know and understand it.
Our subregion has contributed a substantial body of literature to Islamic
understanding, and unless we revist some of those texts, we will as usual,
continue to be indoctrinated by extremist and non culturally compliant ideas
from regions afar. This  my brothers and sisters, is my two cents on the
current debate, and I say A SALAM A LAIKUM, WA RAHMATULAHI WABARAKATUHU TO
ALL.