GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Edi Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 12:48:41 +0000
My dear friend,

Thanks to you too Joe,I have to admit the fact that, exchanging ideas with
you is really appreciated even we are not of the same mentality on most of
the issues, we learn to agree and disagree out of offensive words. In this
way we will be able to understood each other on the issues and use our
gifted intellectuality on modern thoughts as civilised and new gambian to
try and work them out. We have to remember that a president is always given
certain priorities regarding prosecution in the curt of law till he/she is
out of power. Lets take an example to Serac French president with head full
of accusation yet he happen to win the first round of the French election
with all that scandals.

Why? I think, is because he is having strength on other needs of his people
and there, he pulls his muscles to make those successful. As well, Bill
Clinton, regardless to his womanising activities could win the election to
my money if he had stood for the third term. Everybody has weakness and
strength, working to improve your weakness on one hand then the other
tightening the crew on the strength. When the external opportunity arise for
you to tightening your strength more by taking people to Mecca and donating
generators why not capitalising? I will do the same no matter what people
might say they would always be a threat to achieving my objectives.

What I am trying to explain here is still perfection you are talking about.
We cannot be perfect on all direction of our livelihood, Yaya might be
scaffold as you people put it but his government is doing something that
Gambia have never seen in thirty seven years of her independent life.
However, GOOD IS NEVER GOOD ENOUGH BUT BAD IS ALWAY BAD ENOUGH. For example,
doing TEN (10) goods is equal to and ONE bad, meaning ten goods can be
covered by a single bad deed is human nature too. In this world whether one
does good or bad, people will always talk even if in your place, they cannot
do better. Therefore why should I care? As (Yusu Ndure said in one of his
song that I ride the Donkey and my son walk people said I am lack of
sympathy again I walked my son ride the same word came out, we all walked
yet it never satisfy the people). So you can see how difficult it is to
satisfy human being.  Therefore people, let stop a while and think of
limiting the talk about the Gambia for a change to talk for the Gambia.
These two phrases are similar but different in their contents.

However having majority in the cabinet those not mean that you should seize
the voice of the people by passing law that will affect the functioning of
the media. Media is the voice of the people and there should be no attempt
to silence them and I wish justice prevailed for them and their struggle.

Again, I am well aware of the disgraceful human right record which I for
one, ought the government to work on and assure to it that, justice prevails
as well as limiting or control the NIA’s activities to harassing and
intimidating the public. This are a disgraceful picture of the government’s
weakness which they should try and remedy because if tomorrow comes, they
will be judge from their own deeds hence they and their deeds will be
recognised forever especially to the people who directly suffered from their
unjust acts. Of course they can run but cannot hide. We will all pay for our
acts one way or the other and by saying we were following orders will not
ease the boarding. Therefore people this required patients before the right
time comes.

It is nice to criticise someone but bad to be criticised. Let us agree the
fact of the saying that, do on to other, as you will accept in return. Agree
to disagree will help us to build a better unity and understanding among us.
We have to know ourselves before standing at a chance to knowing others as
charity begins at home. We should not pick whom we are to agree and disagree
with because of friendships. As Mr Sambou put it earlier that friends even
fight offensively, but in this forum that is not the case hence people are
avoiding to disagree even if they should, but hence he/she is a friend and
co-operate partner, we dare not to challenge. This is why I was talking
about selfishness in some approaches. I know I might be the less educated
person in this forum yet I will never hesitate speaking my mind. Again I
sometimes wonder what is the use of education if the well-educated ones are
acting, as I should be? Frankly, I don’t envy them a little bit because I
was expecting their talents to be used more effectively than insulting each
other’s integrity.

This is why the intelligent politicians are avoiding politics in African due
to offensive languages and hatreds from opponents replacing political
agendas to build up the nations. We all have common good but different
approaches. Therefore being democrat, republican, or conservative in your
political mind should not deter your positive thinking on common good of our
nation. Of course we can criticise each other’s approach without odious acts
but civilise and intelligent political approaches that will convince the
people or spectator to decide.

Power to the people will prevail only with realistic and intellectual
discussion to the issue in hand. Anger will only make things worst at this
stage. If we are heading for respect and attention to our course, we ought
to sell quality picture of our struggle to the people whose attention we
bestow our faith to earn us respectful and handsome return. On the other
hand selling bad quality picture will of couse earn you your present goal
which is to sell out, but never will it earn you a fortune in the long run
but takes you a step further.

Edi