GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2003 15:30:03 -0400
There is a Mandinka proverb that goes, "Fara ning Jambakatang ...", meaning
a neighbor's problem is every neighbor's problem. I think Gambian and
Senegalese leaders should come to realze that the Gambia and Senegal are
indeed such neighbors, and that they need each other for their very
existence as viable nations.

While I can understand some skeptics to this accord, I think if properly
implemented, it is the best thing for both the Gambia and Senegal. Senegal
needs the bridge to facilitate access to Cassamance. Infact many observers
believe that the Joula disaster might have been avoided had there been a
bridge across the Gambia. The same thing can be said about the Cassamance
trouble. Few people will doubt that Senegal's failure to solve Cassamance's
economic problem is due largely in part to the prohibitive cost of access to
Cassamance.

While there may be some short-term economic downside to the bridge for the
Gambia such can be mitigated by linking the construction of the bridge to
the creation of a free trade zone in Senegambia. Free movement of goods and
people on either sides of the border will offset any loss of revenue brought
about by the construction of the bridge.

As for the ecological impacts, I do not think we should worry much if the
structure is only a bridge. On the contrary I would worry if the proposed
structure is a barrage. The ecological impacts of such a structure across
the River Gambia could be devastating. A barrage aimed at preventing
upstream flow of saltwater could also prevent flow of freshwater downstream.
From OMVG studies, we know that the natural ecosystems along the river
primarily mangroves, depends on annual streamflow down the main river. The
upstream migration of saltwater during the height of the dry season is the
result of low streamflow. We also know that ecosystems such as mangroves
depend on this cycle of salt and freshwater movements to function. Given
that theses ecosystems are not only breeding and nursery grounds for most of
the fish and crustaceans but nesting sites for hundreds of bird species that
live and visit the Gambia, how do we mitigate the impacts of permanent
reduction of streamflow following the barrage?

I believe the political question in this debate should be how do we ensure
that this accord is step one in the process of creating a unified,
border-free Senegambia by 2010?

Malanding Jaiteh

More Criticism of Trans-Gambia Accord

  Email This Page

Print This Page

Visit The Publisher's Site

The Independent (Banjul)

May 9, 2003
Posted to the web May 9, 2003

S.B. Camara
Banjul

The interim leader of the Peoples' Progressive Party (PPP) has criticised
the APRC government for "rushing the decision" to cooperate with the
Senegalese over the idea of a trans-Gambia bridge. Omar A. Jallow, OJ argued
that The Gambia has little to gain from such an agreement.

OJ maintained that the government from all the studies and objectives of the
OMVG, an organisation comprising four member states in the sub-region, the
maximum gain for the Gambia in the regional project, lies in the
construction of the barrage and hydro-electric power, not in the
construction of the envisaged bridge.

OJ, who was the agriculture minister under the now defunct P.P.P government
said "this is why the project implementation was delayed by the P.P.P
government, as there was a conflict of interest" by member states that
established the OMVG, which has been in existence for over twenty years.

"At the core of the delay in the implementation of the OMVG envisaged
regional project," OJ narrated, "is the conflicting interest of member
states." And as such, OJ argued, The Gambia like all other member states of
the OMVG - Senegal, Guinea-Bissau, Conakry is obliged to safeguard its
interest in the implementation of the regional project along the River
Gambia.

The P.P.P's vocal critic who also blames The (Jammeh and Wade) governments
for rushing into decision without proper consultation among member states of
the OMVG, said in this situation, the Trans-Gambia bridge becomes secondary.

"The Gambia's priority in the project since the establishment of the OMVG
since its establishment over twenty years ago, is in the construction of the
barrage and hydro-electric dam, instead of the first implementation of the
bridge component just to allow vehicles cross into Northern and Southern
Senegal" he said.

According to OJ, this proposed project, if implemented according to studies
done long time ago, advocating for the implementation of the barrage the
hydro-electric dam component of the project first, "then it will enable The
Gambia control the intrusion of salt into the river from the ocean, through
increasing the level or height of the river to allow natural flowing into
the fields for agricultural production and in turn enable the effective
functioning of the dam to allow us produce enough electric power, both for
consumption and export (sell) to not only member states of the OMVG, but
also far beyond the sub-region" he defiantly added. "This is far more
beneficial for the Gambia than the Trans-Gambian bridge, which is a
secondary priority for The Gambia in the OMVG project" he said.

OJ who is clearly displeased with the accord, added that after so many
efforts, time and resources at both hydraulic, engineering and environmental
levels with competent institutions, "this project can be hijacked by a 24
hour meeting between officials and political figures of two member states of
the OMVG for the entire sub-region, which has taken precedence over
interests of two states." On "proper-consultations", OJ said it should be
something more than just the common eye could see. He said as long as OMVG
is named as the exalting agency for the project's implementation, then the
inclusion of all member states in the decision to that effect, as he put it,
"Guinea Conakry especially - where River Gambia derives its source, which is
the basis of the development of the Gambia River Basin (OMVG).

OJ warned that any development along the Eastern end of the River "can
seriously affect the volume of water flow for the effective functioning of
the hydro-electric dam and irrigational systems." Therefore he adds, we
might be going in for futility in the project implementation across River
Gambia, which also applies to Guinea and so will be a waste of resources for
The Gambia.

"These are all based on studies," OJ said, "and other records are there.
They're got all the resources at hand, the human, expertise and all studies
at hand. If they choose to neglect all those and go ahead, that means they
will have to answer for their actions in future, that will be a serious
indictment, not only of their judgment but on their very conscience as
leaders of two states".

On the negative side of the Trans-Gambia bridge accord OJ said already there
are plans underway for the procurement of new ferries for the site. "What
will become of those huge investments, which were taken on loans and should
be paid back with interests by the tax payers. What modalities have been put
in place by the two governments to make sure that The Gambia doesn't lose
the revenue it has been gaining from the ferry services at the site. How
about the multitude of Gambians whose livelihoods are depending on the shops
and businesses at the site. What about the staff that will be made
redundant, if the bridge project is implemented" OJ inquired.

He suggested that Guinea Conakry shouldn't be left out of the decision, as
it is the source of almost 30 rivers in the sub-region, including The Gambia
which all hails from the Futa Djallon Highlands. Thus, he said, there are
serious deficits in the information given to both the Gambian and Senegalese
people over the accord.

----

Make allAfrica.com your home page

----

Top | Site Français | Site Guide | Who We Are | Advertising

----

Copyright © 2003 The Independent. All rights reserved. Distributed by
AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). Click here to contact the copyright
holder directly for corrections -- or for permission to republish or make
other authorized use of this material.

----

Questions or Comments? Contact us. Read our Privacy Statement.