GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 13:40:11 -0400
Yusupha, tell me in coherent language why UDP lost in Kiang and not in
Baddibu. If I understand you now, the 'message' is not the sole reason UDP
lost. Vote-buying is also not the sole reason UDP lost. Please indulge me
and tell us why you think UDP lost.

To explain the margin of victory of the Opposition in Baddibu, I urge you to
revisit my postings on the issue. I have touched on that in previous
postings. I will give you a clue and ask you to look at the 'absentee vote'
in Baddibu as well. What Opposition victory margins are you comparing with
the margin in the past by-election? I hope you are not using PPP/NCP figures
in Baddibu.

Yusupha, I disagree with people all the time and we do it in a respectful
way. I do not automatically conclude that people disrespect me when they
disagree with me. To me, the first sentence of your posting is more
disrespectful than the points you brought forward to argue with me. Don't
get me wrong, I have no problem about people laughing about something that
is funny. But I do not see anything funny in pointing out to people that are
accusing UDP of not discussing a 'message' on the campaign trail, that in
fact the party did talk about a 'message'. What is funny about that? The
point went to debunk the myth that UDP only discusses about human rights. I
sought to demonstrate the point that they used a successful message in
Baddibu. They do not only talk about human rights issues.

People do not need to tell me they respect me for me to know that they do. I
know when people treat me with respect and when they don't. As I said
before, this is not personal. Let us just stick with the issues. Find time
and analyze the elections results properly, do some research about what
ACTUALLY happened on the ground (as opposed to speculations and deductions
from lies coming from APRC propaganda), and come let us discuss that.
KB