GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 16:43:18 -0500
Jaiteh, please allow me to engage you here in a very constructive manner. I
will try my level best not to be perceived as attacking you. I want to
believe that we are on the same side here. Having said that, I must express
some dissent here. I just read you try and rationalize an APRC victory in a
manner that even APRC stalwarts on the ground cannot begin to envisage. APRC
stooges like Sedat Jobe are now talking about the October elections. They
have given up on this one. Their worry is now how to recover the deposits
put up by their candidates. This is not Opposition propaganda. These are
facts on the ground.

If you read newspapers or call people on the ground, they will inform you
that whereas UDP rallies attract thousands of people, APRC bring bus-loads
over to Baddibu and Kiang and pretend that their few long-time supporters
are crossing over from UDP. We all know that they are lying. And please do
not tell me that these thousands of UDP supporters are going to the rallies
(risking their lives) just to pass time and that they have no intention of
voting for the party. These are enthusiastic and dedicated supporters.

Why is Saho's personality not fair game? If the man is a drug addict
uneducated loser, you think the people of Baddibu are not entitled to know
that before they send him to Banjul to represent them? Are you avoiding
talking about the man's character because you are afraid that that might
lose him some support?

In your analysis you left out the influence SM Dibba still has in Baddibu.
You also failed to factor in the impact of Nafa Saho's unprincipled move
when he sold his soul to the devil for a Pajero. I also think it is unfair
to try and undermine the Opposition's campaign pledge that they will help to
develop the constituencies. First of all, UDP is not planning to remain in
the opposition for very long. Come October, they will be the government of
the day. Right there, your contention is neutralized. But even if they do
not win in October, I remind you about why we are having a by-election. Do
you remember what the MPs were doing when they met their untimely and
unfortunate death? Was it Yaya who financed the mosque they went to?
Opposition MPs can also be effective.

The argument that only candidates of the ruling party can help develop their
constituencies, does not hold water. You call Nafa Saho a shrewd politician,
I call him a low-life opportunist. I hope the Opposition do not listen to
you and go ahead and expose the two Sahos for what they are. They should
highlight the broken promises they were given by APRC. They should reiterate
how devoid of good ideas people like Yankuba Touray are.

Finally, I will respectfully counsel you to liaise with people on the ground
before you write such thesis. Reports we got indicated that when Yankuba
Touray (your so-called son of Baddibu) faced off with Darboe in Baddibu, it
was Touray that was caught running with his tail in between his legs. There
is no way Yaya can win this election if he does not steal it from the
people. Our farmers might have been screwed by the APRC government, but
people in Baddibu and Kiang are not so destitute to (en masse) sell their
votes for 25 dalasis (which I understand is the going rate APRC is offering
to UDP supporters). These people are smart enough to know that this is just
the beginning of the end. Come October, the final nail will be put in the
coffin. Rest assured that any attempt at intellectual rationalization of a
Yaya stolen victory, will be challenged.
KB