GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Bojang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 18:08:22 EST
The following article is culled from the GRTS. I must say that I am surprised
that Mr. Sedia Jatta thinks that "such a move contradicts the constitution."
We need laws like such to be ammended if they are really in the contradicted
in the constitution. I think the government's move here is very smart and
very progressive. It might be another form of affirmative action.
Ousman Bojang.

The Secretary for Education Ann Therese Ndong Jatta has said that the
nine-year free basic education provided for girls in URD and CRD is in no way
a discrimination against boys. Mrs. Jatta was answering a question from the
MP for Wuli Sidia Jatta at the National Assembly yesterday. Mr. Jatta
observed that such a move contradicts the Constitution, which demands that
there should be free basic education for all. But the Education Secretary
noted that the move was taken so as to increase the enrollment rate of girls
in that part of the country, where the enrollment of girls is 20 percent
lower than boys. She however said that eventually there will be free basic
education for both boys and girls, but pointed out that at the moment
resources are limited to cater for that