GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:18:37 -0500
To paraphrase brother Saul Khan in one of his brilliantly written pieces on
ffdig.org: ‘it is foolish to cut the hand that feeds you’.  Well, that is
exactly what the morons back home are doing.  This erratic move by the
government to expel yet another Western diplomat from the country goes to
show that little (if anything) has changed in the Dictatorship we suffer
back home.  These people to do not have the wherewithal to do the right
thing.  We are not just dealing with a paranoid government.  We have a
government that does not want to hear criticism.  Yaya and his cohorts just
want to hear the pathetic whimpers of the sycophants in the country that
call themselves civil servants when we all know that we are dealing with
mental midgets that are too scared for their jobs to think straight.  If we
have a diplomat in the country that is prepared to stand up and tell these
morons that they are leading the country to the abyss, Yaya et al do not
want to hear that.  Few months ago it was a high-ranking British diplomat.
This time around it is the top-ranking EU diplomat in the country.  Next, it
is going to be a high-ranking American diplomat.  When that happens, the
diplomatic community in the country will then know that they are dealing
with certified lunatics.  We keep telling you that what we have home is the
inmates running the asylum.  I understand that Blaise (who is now leading
the Foreign Service) was the only diplomat at the Commonwealth that
supported the heinous actions of Dictator Sani Abacha against Sarawiwa.  If
this government and its diplomats had their way, Abasanjo will still be
rotting in jail and Abacha would have by now annihilated his opponents.
These are the kinds of people running our country.  People that think that
it is OK to murder, in cold blood, Human Rights activists like Sarawiwa.
People that will unashamedly stand in front of the United Nations, before
the whole world, and hold brief for certified criminals like Baabaa Jobe.

Yaya has not changed one bit.  This diplomat is being expelled because he
had the ‘audacity’ to stand up for ordinary Gambians that were unjustifiably
fired from their jobs.  Imagine what would have happened to those Gambians
if they stood up for themselves.  They would not have the ‘luxury’ of being
deported to other countries.  NIA thugs will visit them and abduct them at
the dead of night and accuse them of sabotaging the country.  This is just
sick.  Thanks (partly) to this man that is being expelled the EU last year
gave our country $12 million to settle a case that crippled our groundnut
industry for more than three years.  This illegal government (thanks to
Baabaa Jobe and some dubious Libyans that wanted to take over the groundnut
industry in the country) exposed our country to legal liability that
virtually destroyed our most important sector in the economy.  The EU
stepped in to rescue the vermin.  And this is what the EU get in return?

Not only did they fail to take the life-line the EU gave them by settling
with Alimenta, the morons are now alienating the people that are helping
them.  Despite that the major hurdle in the groundnut sector was lifted by
the EU, this inept government is still incapable of solving the problems of
our farmers.  To add insult to injury, now the government is putting the
Gambian people under further jeopardy.  This government is attracting
sanctions for us again.  Now if we are sanctioned because of these
irrational and erratic moves, the mental midgets will not blame themselves
for being stupid.  No! Instead, they will blame the Opposition and
journalists in the country for pointing out their stupidity.  They never
take responsibility.  And we can always rely on the sycophantic ‘civil
servants’ to try and rationalize these ridiculous and indefensible moves.  I
wonder where Famara Jatta and Alieu Ngum and Blaise Jagne stand on these
latest moves by the Dictatorship to alienate the World Bank (by creating
havoc at Gamworks); alienate the EU (by deporting their top diplomat);
alienate the UN (by ignoring Baabaa Jobe’s proscription as a dealer in
‘Blood Diamond’).

These people cannot help themselves.  They do not have the wherewithal to
run households let alone run a poor country like ours.  Unless they expel
all the ‘critical’ diplomats in the country and incarcerate all ‘critical’
Gambians, they would not be satisfied.  Whichever way one slices it,
Gambians are living under a Dictatorship.
KB